Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisey vr ute

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
sorry im new to this site, i tried posting this before but it hasnt appeared not sure if i did something wrong so im trying again, if it appears twice i apologise,
i have a vr ute and there is a constant rubbing/grinding noise when its moving the faster i go the faster the noise gets an the slower i go the slower it gets, originally i thought wheel bearing but i jacked it up and spun them and they spun freely with no noise.
i then thought maybe the park brake was sticking but surely there would be a burning smell which there isnt,
ive jacked it up an looked underneath cant see anything obvious.
the transmission level was low ive topped that up but the noise is still there.
ive also knocked it into neutral while driving to see if the noise stops but it doesnt
so any advise would be great as im new to holdens cos im a pom and sorry again if this has posted twice

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
well today i jacked it up and removed the front hub, there is no play in the bearing what so ever and it spun with a very slight little noise not enough to explain the noise im hearing,
i then jacked up the back and removed the rear wheel and caliper,put it in neautral and took the park brake off and spun it and there was a noise but i cant be sure as to where its coming from it kinda sounds like the disc is rubbing on the handbrake pads i used sand paper to clean out the drum as it was ful of rust and crap it quietened down a little but i still have the noise i just cant tell if its front or rear has any one else had this problem

Raydo69

Reaction score
Website
holdenhome.iforums.us
Members Ride
VR Ute 11
I have a VR Ute and have not had that problem mine is a 5Speed but it dose sound like the breaks are rubbing some where it might be your pads are worn out and it is metal on metal and that's why you don't smell it, I had the same sort of noise when i was 17 it was an EH Holden and it was the pads had worn down but it took a bit to suss it out, Have a look at your pads an see if they are worn are the groves on the discs at all?

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
i took it all apart again yesterday, all my brake pads are fine loads of meat left on them and the handbrake shoes are fine and i checked that there not sticking too, it sounds to me like a bearing in the diff now, ive changed the oil yesterday and it helped slightly but the noise is still there, also my ute is alot slower than my vs sedan is this normal

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Not your center bearing on the tail shaft by any chance?
Or the input bearing on the diff

As far as speeds im unsure, Theyre not gonna be massivly different. The ecotec is just an update(fairly significant update) of the vr motor. But only produced about another 10kw i think.

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
yeah i reckon its one of those bearings its just a constant whirring noise when im driving in a straight line or around corners it makes no difference, have you had the same problem then?
the vs is just so much smoother and accelwrates so much better than my vr and the vs is stock, my vr has larger throttle body, extractors, cat back exhaust, bellmouth removed, full induction kit and apparently a different ecu an the vs is still faster