Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Air Intake

B

boss

Hey Guys,

Just wondering if any one has heard of this happening before. I have recently had an annoying noise come from my engine, which i thought was the bearings on my pulleys. They were in need of replacement so i got it done, which did fix most of the noise, but not all of it. The sound comes from the air filter. I spoke to a mechanic and he said just to ignore it. Has anyone heard of this problem/or know how to fix it?

Any help will do, it dosent seem to be doing damage, but the VS is usually such a quiet engine, and this noise is annoying

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
i fail to understand how an air filter can make excessive noise. have you tried replacing the filter? airbox is sealed properly?

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
Install a set of extractors and larger exhaust system and the extra noise will over power the air box noise.

jetspin_vn

JetSpin Racing Team
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN GTS
What kind of filter is it (ie panel/pod, paper/k&n) because the materials in some do produce a whistling noise as they induce a swirling effect on the air, supposed to help mixing or something exactly what i can't recall. You could try running the engine (briefly) without the filter and see if the noise remains, then you'll know if its just the filter or not.

Mike.

jafo

lurker since 2003
Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 wh statesman
if you have a c.a.i (cold air intake) it is a bit louder than a standard
but if not are all the components clean and in good repair.
check the seals around the filter or for holes in the inlet pipe

G

Grantis1976

Ditto Jetspin vl and jaffo, I set up a home made c.a.i., abit more induction noise, but I notice the fun factor more!!! 1 week later, I fitted the K&N panel filter, alittle louder again. Like the others said, pods, rams etc can affect too!
Good Luck !!!

B

boss

Theres no C.a.i, and its just a stock repco filter. the box is sealed correctly, it just makes a strange sucking noise. Ill try jet spin Vl's idea to try to centeralise the problem. But i do like Markovr response..... if only i had the money

G

Grantis1976

Mate, I spoke to a mechanic freind of mine about afew things in here-this being one of them !!!
If you have stock intake system, this may sound weird, but check your belts, power steer pump, air con, and alt.. I wondered at first, but these things all make noise and churn up air whilst in operation. If one is faulty, its posible it could sound like an air leak. Other option was a vacum hose.
Good Luck !!!

statement

reaching new limits
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY/VZ Calais/Tonner
noisey

i belive the noise that you are hearing is harmless and all it is the air passing through the maf meter as mine does the same thing, so there is no need to worry ;)

Last edited: