Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy diff and diff identification

jay_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Calais l67
Hi,

So Ive recently bought a 96 vs Calais l67 with a diff problem its very noisy while driving.
Im trying to work out what the issue is, it sort of howls while driving and doesn't stop.

I also need to work out what diff is in it, when i got under the car yesterday i found a lsd tag and a number on the housing the number is 0576-039900 does this number specify which diff it is m78 or m80 and gear ratio?
I also found that the tailshaft and diff are only bolted on by 2 bolts with 2 holes empty one of the holes looks clear to put a bolt in but the other blocked like its not lined up or the flanges dont match. Im thinking this could be one of the reasons the diff has failed.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanx.

Attachments

• received_532935097594988.jpeg
    received_532935097594988.jpeg
    162.3 KB · Views: 211
  • 20200523_170259.jpg
    20200523_170259.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 195

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
If the flange is not lined up perfectly then it will wear the hell out of the pinion bearing in no time, something Wagon diffs suffer from badly.

It seems as though some ammatuer has been there dicking around with non original parts. I'd love to see a good photo/s of this flange joint.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
The build plate is somewhere within the engine bay (usually on the firewall) and will list a code for the engine, gearbox and diff. Those codes atleast tell you what it came with from factory... but being an old car, now it could have anything in it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'd suggest pinion bearings are fubared.

Yeah these LSD axles have a problem with the cones sending metal particles through the bearings. They require regular oil changes and it's a good idea to use a magnetic drain plug.

Probably require full rebuild I just had mine done in the ute and had 3.45s fitted at the same time.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
Hi,

So Ive recently bought a 96 vs Calais l67 with a diff problem its very noisy while driving.
Im trying to work out what the issue is, it sort of howls while driving and doesn't stop.

I also need to work out what diff is in it, when i got under the car yesterday i found a lsd tag and a number on the housing the number is 0576-039900 does this number specify which diff it is m78 or m80 and gear ratio?
I also found that the tailshaft and diff are only bolted on by 2 bolts with 2 holes empty one of the holes looks clear to put a bolt in but the other blocked like its not lined up or the flanges dont match. Im thinking this could be one of the reasons the diff has failed.

Any help would be appreciated
Thanx.

Have a look at this old post, might explain your situation
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/will-this-diff-fit.264166/
I have a 1998 VS L67 Calais and my LSD diff has a dirty wine to it. I have got another LSD diff to put in. But have noticed the code is 0576-039902 but my standerd one has 0576-039900 And the fuller Bung is on the back not the side. Does anyone know if this diff will fit ? They look the same other than fuller bungs

Rob bob, Apr 25, 2017

jay_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Calais l67
Yeah these LSD axles have a problem with the cones sending metal particles through the bearings. They require regular oil changes and it's a good idea to use a magnetic drain plug.

Probably require full rebuild I just had mine done in the ute and had 3.45s fitted at the same time.
Can i ask how much did the full rebuild set you back and was it the m78 or m80 diff you rebuilt?

jay_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Calais l67
The build plate is somewhere within the engine bay (usually on the firewall) and will list a code for the engine, gearbox and diff. Those codes atleast tell you what it came with from factory... but being an old car, now it could have anything in it.
I will look at it and see what it says but like you said it could of been replaced especially with the flange not lined up and only 2 bolts im thinking its been changed before.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Can i ask how much did the full rebuild set you back and was it the m78 or m80 diff you rebuilt?

Bit over $900 mine was an M75 which I think your's might be the same, considering it's in a VS? Rebuild price wise it won't vary greatly as mine was a beam axle and had a wheel bearing replaced and panhard bushes.

jay_commo

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS Calais l67
If the flange is not lined up perfectly then it will wear the hell out of the pinion bearing in no time, something Wagon diffs suffer from badly.

It seems as though some ammatuer has been there dicking around with non original parts. I'd love to see a good photo/s of this flange joint.
Yeah thats i think someone didn't know what they were doing did it, if it doesn't rain tomorrow ill get under and take a photo.