Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Fuel Pump

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Recently I have been hearing a humming sound from rear of car, I checked the boot and underneath the car and found it's the fuel pump.
I have also found it changes its pitch noise when I press power windows switches. I did a forum search and members have just simply just replaced theres even though it new.
I haven't ran out of fuel since 2 years ago and previous owner put a new one in before that.
Usually happens only when vehicle is at normal operating temperature and doesn't matter how much fuel is in it either. Full tank or 1/4 of fuel in tank.

What is the main cause for this?
I don't want to replace it with the new one possibly doing the same thing. Remember it's only been doing the humming noise for about 4 weeks

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
replaced it with a DELPHI brand one , i have used the aftermarket generic one and its crap. DELPHI is OEM , makes same noise as factory pump did ( when it was working well )

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
So what do you recommend? Just put any one of them in and deal with the noise, if it happens again?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My opinion only, but ours has made a humming noise intermittently for the last 8 years....over 300,000km so far. Some Commodores never make any noise.....it probably depends on exactly how they are positioned when installed - maybe try loosening all the screws that hold the pump in the tank and wobble it a bit so it gets tightened in a fractionally different position. (do when fuel low). Or you could give the bottom of the tank a bit of a thump with your open hand and this will jar the pump as the pickup sits on the bottom.
Good Luck.

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well I'll have to remove it anyway as when I turn on RH corners it nearly stalls. Which the return hose hasn't been refitted properly from previous owner. So I do have to remove it so i'll have a go at that for now.