Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy lifter LS1 high kms?

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
Hi guys
I was just driving home in an LS1 that i bought and it did some strange ****. It was defected and hasn't had a good run in months..apparently. Anyways I took it for a test drive yesterday and it had no noises in motor. After about 5 mins on the freeway it develops this nasty tick. Definitely in motor as it is fluctuates with RPM. Anyways after I pull off the freeway with the motor having been noisy for at least 5-10 mins I'm cruising through normal traffic and after sitting at a set of lights the noise just clears! I drive for another 5 mins and the noise doesn't return. It's done almost 300,000. Anyone had a similar experience? Thinking sludge in pick up or just some **** caught in a lifter. Oil is not super dirty but I'm going to do a filter and oil change tomorrow and just see if it happens again. THanks

JoshlikesCalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z
Honestly you shouldn't have bought an LS1 with that many K's. Try a higher viscosity oil as they are picky when it comes to oil.
Could be lifters, idle pully, piston slap, lack of oil lubrication or many other things. Probably best to get it checked by a professional based on the K's alone

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
When does an LS1 not tick?
When it's not running.

H

harrop.senator

If its lifter tick thicker oil most of the time will make it worse as the bleed holes blocked and not flowing correctly and why it's not rolling correctly most times. Id drain a litre out out a litre of diesel in idle it for half hour. Drop oil change with 15 40-60 with those kms and half a litre or so of atf it cleans the system over lifetime of the oil and can help unblock lifters.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
with that amount of K's , the lifters would be worn , there would be piston slap , worn rings , thicker oil wont do a lot , amd as mentioned may make things worse .

vombil

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 UTE
yeah she's an old girl but very clean rocker gear and underside of oil filler so it's been maintained. Just dropped the oil and used some 15/40 I had in the shed. Oil was quite dirty and filter looked old. No noises at idle after new oil and it absolutely purrs. This motor has one of that lifter tick and slap I often here with an old 5L or 253 when they first start.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Wouldn't worry about the lifter tick on start up mate my 6 litre (L98) does it occasionally and it only has 130k on the clock