Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Lifter (one or more)

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
I've discovered somehow on my spark plug change it's possibily stuffed a lifter in my engine.

It's a 2006 VZ Executive, alloytech engine.

I need idea's on fixing this up. Stuff a mechanic........ I know it's the best way to go but I dont have money to pay someone for like 20-40 hours labour possibly from the things i've been hearing from people.

1. Worse case scenario, a lifter is broken or something.

My questions here are:

1. Do I bother adding some kind of additive, then doing a engine oil change and filter change incase somethings flowing around somewhere.
2. I head adding some tranny oil might help release it a bit (like a cap full worth).

The car sounds like a lawn mower honestly, it's not nice.

IDEA'S? ALSO....... If you guys think I need to replace a lifter, does anyone know someone who could do a guide to getting at them, what do I remove etc?

Cheers
Jamie

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
20-40 hours...long time

what? if a mechanic was to do that in that time, he wouldnt have a job

best bet would be to initially remove the intake, and remove the valve covers and inspect whats going on

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
ok so ........... you have the intake manifold then below that you have the injector head/manifold that comes off as well............ but to the left/right of that you have the black head covers where the spark plugs go ......... so should I be removing those? can I access the lifters on the alloytech thru there to check them?.....

Should I drain oil before having a look or.....

Any help on this is great. thanks

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
you dont need to remove the injectors, you only have to remove the coils and disconnect or move any hoses and wiring in the way,

all you need to do is remove the black covers on the top of the cylinder back that the noise is comming from

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
ok so should i drain oil before doing this and would it be a good ideal to go get a replacement gasket? or would liquid gasket be ok for it if i need to redo it

Exidor

I come in peace.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Used Martian spacecraft
You hav'nt dropped something down the inlet
manifold during the plug change?

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
You hav'nt dropped something down the inlet
manifold during the plug change?

lol, thats a really good point,

yes liquid gaskett is fine, ask a auto parts shop for some ultra blue or equvelent

and no you dont have to drain oil

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
well the lifter that may have the issue yes, something "may" have gotten down thru there. the plug was damn stuck........... after alot of back and forth with idea's from pplz on here, i got it out with alot of careful effort and a good tension wrench. didn't strip anything didn't break the plug but the white top broke off around it and some may have gone down in there possibly...... it vacumed it out.... but i have a sneaky suspicision that it might be whats up.

i was dead careful bout it, whoever did the plugs last obviously dont it up way too tight as all the other plugs were straight forward to get out