Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy lifters - LS3 - cold start.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
burst knock is predicted knock not actual knock, its just thinking under the conditions with what all the sensors say there could be potential knock so it takes a predetermined amount of spark out for a set crank deg count ect, for example i have mine almost removed because of the blower when it sees the rush of air it freaks out and takes timing out, it shouldnt be there under light load conditions tho
Gotcha

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Not that I disagree with your diagnosis but the fact remains that these are strange noises. One would think that if this noise was normal and to be expected that Holden would inform owners. After all, anybody that has spent any time with cars/engines would take a "knocking noise" to indicate bad things are happening in their engine especially when it's fairly much brand new and would expect it to be reasonably quiet and smooth (other than the customary induction noise and exhaust growl you expect with a performance V8).

Diesel Commodore anyone?

I would still take it to the dealership and question the noise. Lets see if Holden can explain it.

Also, should cat light off happen fairly damn quickly? I would expect it to happen much quicker than the time it takes the engine reaching operating temp. THe whole point of these modern emissions standards is so that what comes out of the tail pipe is emissions complaint from almost the moment the engine starts.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Not that I disagree with your diagnosis but the fact remains that these are strange noises. One would think that if this noise was normal and to be expected that Holden would inform owners. After all, anybody that has spent any time with cars/engines would take a "knocking noise" to indicate bad things are happening in their engine especially when it's fairly much brand new and would expect it to be reasonably quiet and smooth (other than the customary induction noise and exhaust growl you expect with a performance V8).

Diesel Commodore anyone?

I would still take it to the dealership and question the noise. Lets see if Holden can explain it.

Also, should cat light off happen fairly damn quickly? I would expect it to happen much quicker than the time it takes the engine reaching operating temp. THe whole point of these modern emissions standards is so that what comes out of the tail pipe is emissions complaint from almost the moment the engine starts.
No doubt these noises are odd and for whatever reason they are more noticable on some engines. As I said I will definitelly discuss this with the dealer but based on my previous experience they will just say it's fine. The dealer that I bought the car from literally said that I can hear the noise because it is an aluminum block and resonates more that steel. They asked if the noise is present at operating temp and when I said it was not , they said it is normal and nothing to worry about.

This time i am doing my 1st service at different dealership as it's more convenient. Without mentioning first dealer's response I will describe the issue and see what they say...

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
I might post the relevant stock tables indicating RPM, ECT, load and run time.
Will also load all this startup stuff in my current tune and post a cold run vid.
I expect the noise, and for it to be quite loud.

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
You guys should try driving a late model BMW 3 series with the N20 engine. The thing sounds like its going to blow up when cold, and sounds like a diesel at all other times. All to do with the direct injection, apparently. There's threads galore on BMW forums about it, though BMW doesn't seem too worried

Not all engines are silent. My LS3 is much noisier than the 6lt in the VF1 i had. Even though the VF1 used to have intermittent lifter noise from those shitty AFM lifters

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
You guys should try driving a late model BMW 3 series with the N20 engine. The thing sounds like its going to blow up when cold, and sounds like a diesel at all other times. All to do with the direct injection, apparently. There's threads galore on BMW forums about it, though BMW doesn't seem too worried

Not all engines are silent. My LS3 is much noisier than the 6lt in the VF1 i had. Even though the VF1 used to have intermittent lifter noise from those shitty AFM lifters
Why were the AFM lifters shitty, were they noisier than an LS3?
What year was the VF1?

PeteSS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 2 SSV Redline
Intermittent lifter noise in left bank, which 2 mechanics acknowledged was lifter related . Seemed to fix up after oil change then came back again.
When it played up It sounded like a clapped out HQ with a 300,000km old engine
We sold the car so didn't get to the bottom of it . When it wasn't playing up it was quiet. I can't say any quieter than the LS3 though.

it was an early 2015 build

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Intermittent lifter noise in left bank, which 2 mechanics acknowledged was lifter related . Seemed to fix up after oil change then came back again.
When it played up It sounded like a clapped out HQ with a 300,000km old engine
We sold the car so didn't get to the bottom of it . When it wasn't playing up it was quiet. I can't say any quieter than the LS3 though.

it was an early 2015 build
Seems like a lube issue too, thanks for that.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
No doubt it's tune related...
I have been experimenting with different types of petrol and there is a noticeable difference.
With bp ultimate 98 there is hardly any unusual noise...
Will take cold start drive video tomorrow to demonstrate as the car is now filled with bp ultimate.

The worst noise is with Caltex's 95

I dont use regular 91 at all or e10

LS3SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV Redline A6
Got noisy lifters after a cam change, found out there wasn't enough preload, the fix was .030" longer pushrods.....no more noisy lifters