Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy Lifters

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
Hey guys, i got extractors and exhaust done about a week ago on my VR and have been driving it pretty heavily since, over the last couple of days there has been a ticking/tapping sound coming from the engine. I narrowed it down to the top of the engine just where the injectors are and with each pulse of the injector there is a tick. After doing some reading on here i thought it might be my lifters sticking so i bought some engine treatment stuff that was meant to free em up, put that in ran it for a little while then changed my oil twice (i like to be thorough) but the noise is still there, if not worse.

Does anyone know what else it could be? And how hard would it be for me to change them myself? I do a little bit of work on my car and would rather do it myself and learn how its done that pay someone else to do it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers Jack

300kwv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67
Hi Jack,

It sounds like your lifers. Does it sound a bit like this youtube video??

YouTube - Broken hydraulic lifters

To replace them is fairly straight forward. Drop the coolant, remove fuel rail, inlet manifold, rocker cover, rocker gear, push rods. Once inlet manifold is off they are directly infront of you. They have a plastic strip that keeps them alligned, so that needs to come off aswell. Remove all 12 lifters, I think you can get them checked but there isnt much point. Lube up new ones and fit everything back to the engine.

All should be tickerdeboo.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Seeing as you just had extractors etc done I'd concentrate on them - a very slight leak from the exhaust gasket can sound like a tap and be in time with the injector. Use a garden hose as a stethoscope to locate it.
Good Luck.

black as

Reaction score
Members Ride
I have 2 cars VZ sv8 6 litre and VU ute 5.7 litre
Check again that the tappet noise isn't coming from the extractor area because no one knows there car better than the owner on new noises that appear. It is common when you remove a standard exhaust manifold and fit extractors that you exacerbate the sound of your valves opening and closing and magnify themselves through the pipes of your extractors. Not saying this is the problem as it could be your lifters but something you should check. Use a big screw driver against your ear and place the other end on the noisy area and should give you some sort of idea. I noticed the same on my 5.7 litre and when I put on a set of extractors and its a quite normal sound.

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
300kwv6 yea mate it sounds exactly like that, i bought some new lifters today for $20 each (after being quoted $114 each from holden ) I was thinking it may have been my extractors leaking somewhere but the noise has gotten a lil worse after a fairly hard drive home from work and its definetly a bad tapping sound, so bad that i didnt want to drive it at all today. I will check again tomorrow to makesure its not the extractors though.

Just a couple more questions...I've got all day tomorrow off so i'm gonna take off the rocker covers and inlet manifold and have a looksee and will decide then whether i'd be able to do it or not, what do i use to lube em up with? just engine oil? and are there any set measurements of anything that i take out or a particular order in which they have to go back in? I have fairly basic tools but wouldnt mind giving it a go if i could...If anyone could provide a bit of a 'how to' on it that'd be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone who has had input so far and to anyone else who wil be.

Cheers Jack.

[p]wrr-247

Mr14ry
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Calais v8
yer i need a bit of help on this subject 2 i need 2 replace my lifters car sounds like a bloody truck not a commodore anyways just wondering were did you get your lifters from for 20 each

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
i ended up takin mine back to the exhaust palce n they had forgotten to put a bolt in on the y-piece and the other had worked itself loose so they tightened it up n its been sweet since. i odered mine from repco

shiftySLE

The Lion will never Die!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLE, VZ Acclaim
if your lifters are gone, good chance the cams chopped out as well, usually you would do both, very rarely if ever do lifters go in a couple of hard drives, I'd say the sound is extractors, take it to the exhaust joint and tell them to change the gaskets or double gasket.