Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noisy rear

Eddie elghoul

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 Holden ss thunder 6ltr
Hi I have a vz ss thunder Ute and it started making a noise from the rear and it only makes a clunking noise when I take of slow up to about 70kmh but comes and goes I’ve have the car for nearly 4 years and it’s the first time I’ve heard it

ant797

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy s
Could be the diff needs new oil get the penrite gear oil spec for your make model with smooth shift additives in it undo the bottom bolt at rear of diff empty oil out then do the bolt back up and undo the big botlt towards top middle right and fill easy

wildfiremaint

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS , 2007 Subaru LIBERTY Wagon
Best to undo the top filler plug first in case you empty out all the oil and then can’t get the top filler loose to
put more oil in !

Big Red VF-SII Go-kart

I love puddles.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII MY17 SV6 (LFX) Sportwagon (SOLD)
A progressively louder clunk-clunk-clunk from the rear, particularly when reversing, less commonly in drive, is common for all VZs. It is the universal joint and differential. I absolutely hated this, but really, it is nothing likely to cause a serious issue if the car and particularly the rear section of the drivetrain (differential, shaft etc.) are examined at each scheduled service.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Cut back on protein and that will help.

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
diff oil with friction modifier os a good start. drive shafts make a similar knocking noise, check the boots for leaking