Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noisy wipers

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I put a secondhand wiper motor and wiper arms into my VP a while ago. All was quiet and smooth for a while but there is now a metallic "click" as the wiper arms come down to the central position. I can't remember whether there are bushes in the rotating ball-joints. Anyone know what it's likely to be. If (nylon?) bushes are they still available. Just wanting to get an idea before I pull the wiper arms and plenum cover off. Thanks guys

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
From memory, my VP never had any bushes other than the three on the wiper motor.
I replaced the motor with one off a VS and repined the socket to suit.
I guess a VS motor would be equally flogged out these days.

See if you can get the motor reconditioned by a auto elec place that does starters etc.

Also, pull the arms apart, clean them up. Maybe a coat of paint (some silver) Pop off the ball joints on the wiper mechanisim, clean them up, regrease them. (I use bearing grease).

If there is a click, it might be the arms touching the windscreen edges?
Maybe the wiper blade assembly is a bit average?

I'd be a bit careful with that plenum cover, I remember them to be quite fragile.

Take the opportunity to get the vacuum in there and clean out the schmutz too.

FXST01

The Grey Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP V6 Exec
Motor mounting bolts have become loose?

91SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Commodore VNSS 1991
Yeah and also the housing where the bolt on can crack. Check linkage to motor set up and use spring washers. 2 bolts is enough if you have one mount broken.

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6

I've just found this exact issue about a month ago. Bought a second hand wiper assembly from the wreckers, found out the 3 screws were loose. Nipped up and back in business. The motor is a little noisy but still moves strong and straight.

Pull the cowl off and check it out before spending coin.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Can the motor/ gearboxes be serviced while they are out? I replaced a door window motor recently and found out the gearbox can be disassembled and greased by playing with the old one. Of course I found this out after I had rivetted in the new motor.

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
Thanks for the replies everyone. I guess I need to open it up and check. I think the noise is from under the plenum cover but I spose that's the first thing to confirm. The blades are wipertech units and not that old