Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Non availability of VZ parts?????????

87VLCALAIS

Reaction score
Members Ride
3.8 VY S Manual, ZB RSV
I heard some very disturbing news yesterday.

Some parts for the VZ are apparently no longer available.

The part mentioned from memory was the bumber bar (the solid steel bar) that is situated behing the plastic bumper. The bit that takes the impact when you have more than just a flexing of the plastic.

It is part of the crumple zone at the front and needs to be replaced after the front end has had a good smack. Repairer was told told the part was no longer available due to GM closing down the factory that makes these as part of world wide cost cutting measures.

End result I was told - an otherwise very repairable car was written off.

Has anyone heard of a similar tale? Was the repairer give bad information?

I have a VY which very likely has the same part. If this is true I'm not all that happy. What other parts are also no longer available?

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
Was about to say, that'd be sweet. Have your car insured for more than it's worth, take a hit on the front "oh what's that? can't replace the part and it's a write off? sweet! pay me out bitch ........"

Trevor 062

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE S2 SSV REDLINE & 07 VZ ACCLAIM WAGON
Surely they would have to hold stock of parts for at least 10 years

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
pretty sure thats a load of ****... ill check the part availability when im at work tommorow, parts like that are stockpiled when the models change, there would be some somewhere... the repairer probably isnt looking hard enough

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
theres aftermarket companies making copies these days anyway, theyd be one of the main things that would get replaced in a mid range hit on the front, or rear for that matter

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
umm yeh have to have stock availability for 10 years on existing models despite what the company does.

Look at MG Rover, you "cant get parts" for them either. You can, but its restricted to who their sold too for the reason the manufacturer went down years ago and parts are becoming scarse, BUT you can still get them if you own the car and there is still MG Rover dealer service centers :thumbsup:

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Yeah, there is some part of the Trade Practices Act which requires manufacturers to supply repair services/spare parts for their products for a certain amount of time.

Sounds like a complete load of BS to me, especially seeing as its probably one of the more profitable arms of the business.

Ewok

Reaction score
Members Ride
R32 GTR 360AWHP
I was under the impression that a company still had to supply spare parts for a minimum of I think it was 5 years after they go under or even when they have stopped production of a particular car aswel?