Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Non flip key to flip key

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Will need a whole new circuit board made that will fit inside the key.

Will also need a contact point for the ring. Will need to fabricate that.

It could easily end up looking like Homer Simpson’s spice rack.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 VZ SV6 Commodore 5 Speed AUTO 3.6L
You need to stop.
Litteally asking a question because I'm curious if it can be done i dont need a random person being rude as hell when im here just to ask questions thats the point of these forums so why would I need to stop when I get treated like that huh

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
@Joshua Pevitt, if I remember correctly, the VZ has a key with.a contact on the key head itself. This key head contact presses on the slip ring around the key hole on the steering wheel... Doing such causes the key to transmit a signal to the BMC which disables the immobiliser and thus the key can be turned to start the car... This is seperate from the lock/unlock mechanism as I understand...

The VF Flip key has a completely different arrangement and uses a RFID chip to respond to a query request from the car to disable mobiliser (from memory). the lock/unlock is also a separate part not related to the RFID...

Are they systems used in VZ and VF compatible... almost certainly not... can the VF system be retrofitted into another car, probably yes but it will cost $$$, lots of $$$.

You can you take a VZ key and pull it apart and see if you can insert the electronics into a modded VF flip key shell. But I haven’t heard of it being done successfully. If VF keys are $50 items, that could be worth trying as it’s not so different to a few beers in cost but unfortunately VF keys cost much much more than $50. You may not be so happy at trashing a VF and VZ key in trying such a mechanical hack...

But yes, anything can be done money being not I pass.. Putting a man on the moon proved as much. The question is how much effort and $$$ are you willing to commit to it?
This is what I like detailed and straight forward answers and yes ill have a go at it

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride

Fair enough

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
I gave you the most straight foward answer there is but like most tyre kickers you're being a sook because it doesnt work to your favour..
Dont go on about anything is possible with money because lets face it, you're not going to spend it.

If you want it that bad have a tuner remove all vats and cut a flip key to suit (different blade profiles too btw but Im sure you know all about S D H F and Z blade styles) and unlock the doors by hand.

Presto youll be the coolest kid on the block!

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton
..from the random guy who spent 6 years programming keys

HSV126

Reaction score
Members Ride
Briggs & Stratton

I think hes too young to get the reference.

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride

So all dodgy looking job is what your saying?

Joshua Pevitt

Reaction score
Members Ride
I gave you the most straight foward answer there is but like most tyre kickers you're being a sook because it doesnt work to your favour..
Dont go on about anything is possible with money because lets face it, you're not going to spend it.

If you want it that bad have a tuner remove all vats and cut a flip key to suit (different blade profiles too btw but Im sure you know all about S D H F and Z blade styles) and unlock the doors by hand.

Presto youll be the coolest kid on the block!
Well thats your opinion i didn't come here to fight and back chat just ask question 100% will be the "coolest on the block"