Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Non-Olympic Sports

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The other thread about the Olympics got me thinking. There has already been a "debate" about whether BMX cycling should be classed as an Olympic sport, but I reckon there are some sports that just don't deserve to be classified as "Olympic" and shouldn'ty be there.

Which sports do members think are played at the Olympics but shouldn't be there?

My three nominations. Synchronised Swimming, Badminton and Table Tennis. The second and third are as boring as bat-****, IMO, and don't seem to require the massive physical effort that other true Olympic sports demand. The swimming is just clever, but a "sport"?

And does anyone have a suggestion about which sports are missing from the Olympics?

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
Any of the equestrian events. Why they are there is beyond me. I also think that the pistol shooting should go back to it's roots. Ditch the clay pigeons and use real ones again :p

Reaper

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
you obviously havent played much table tennis as there is a huge amount of skill in what those blokes do... and pretty sure they are doing way more physical exertion than any doing archery or shooting

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
Any of the equestrian events. Why they are there is beyond me. I also think that the pistol shooting should go back to it's roots. Ditch the clay pigeons and use real ones again :p

Reaper

The equestrian events do require a big amount of skill from the rider. My girlfriend does all the dressage and jumping on her horse. The rider can tell the horse what to do with the slightly squeeze of there legs. The hours, time it takes to train the horse to those commands, takes time and effort.
Some horses are trained better than others, some riders are better than others, if is a competive sport

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
But with Equestrian, it's the rider training the horse. And then once the horse is trained you could tell anybody what to do and when and chuck them on a trained horse and they would do fairly decent. Because the one doing 90% of the work is the horse.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
you obviously havent played much table tennis as there is a huge amount of skill in what those blokes do... and pretty sure they are doing way more physical exertion than any doing archery or shooting

You're quite right about me playing table tennis. I've never played it. It bores me shitless. I don't say there isn't a high level of skill but is it an "Olympic" sport? (whatever that means)

Beav

Reaction score
Members Ride
93 vr commodore
The rider tells the horse what to do. The rider is in charge. The sport is worldwide, could be a reason why it is in there. No, we could not get on a horse and go full steam at a jump height of 1m50cm, the rider has to work and horse to get over it, also need the horse to trust the rider.

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS

There's just as much skill involved in pool but it's not played at the Olympics.

hi_ryder

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
id love to see competitive drinking like in beerfest. would be better then watching table tennis. i could see aussie gold medals in druken property destruction, and the projectile vomit event...