Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NON-OTR CAI... worth it?

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
I was considering a non-OTR cold air intake... a bit cheaper at this stage, i don't have the spondooly to get a growler..... are they worth it?
I was looking at this type on eBay for about $270

MFVES.jpg

MFVES_1.jpg

simon.w

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV
G'Day Hunter. Short version is OTR is better.... but costs a whole lot more ... not only for the actual CAI, but also because you need to get a maffless tune which adds another $900 to the bill.

I fitted exactly the same unit that you have shown to my SSV when it was new 20 months ago, and I am very happy with it. (see my earlier post - link below)

Few things to keep in mind:

Firstly you get what you pay for with the supplied filter ... I took my off to check it after a few months and found the mesh had gone rusty, and the filter itself was stained brown from it. So I simply replaced it with a good K&N pod filter for aorund $80. Don't forget to buy the cleaning kit as well.

Secondly, it really requires a bracket to stop the filter banging around onto the back of the fog light ... not hard, piece of mild steel, another one of the billet clamps and piece of the hose ... simply bracket it to one of the origional air box mouting bolts. When you order the unit from ebay, "The Origional Parts Group" will email you for details... Simply ask Fab if he'll sell you some extra hose and an extra clamp... should cost around $15-$20. Tell him you want to do what Simon did with his. (Note the photo on my origional link shows it with a standard worm drive clamp)

Thirdly, the secret to making this type of filter work well, and to overcome the issue of the air getting hot from the expanse of aluminium pipe, simply cut three x two inch holes in the plastic cowl under the front passenger side, and make a air scoop that fscrews up underneath them. This will ensure a constant flow of cold air is forced around the filter when you are moving.

Finally, make sure you buy some vacuum hose (think it is 3/8 from memory... but may be 1/4) ... the new CAI doesn't come with any, and the origional hose won't work as it is too hard to slide over the larger pipe on the CAI. Simply lift off the engine cover and slide the old hose off the pipe.

Bottom line is this... if you're gonna get a retune anyway, go the OTR ... but if you just want a low cost upgrade that gives a bit more power, and creates some excellent induction noise ... go this way.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...6/60855-low-cost-cold-air-intake-ve-8cyl.html

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
great info! thanks for the reply. ...... not sure if the guys i bought it from will want to void my extended warranty if i do it... probably wouldn't hurt to ask them i guess.

Dale@CHE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VT SS
our VE OTR can be used with the MAF and works perfectly fine with the MAF.. $650RRP

BOY1236

Crazy dude in a V8
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS (4-speed auto)
our VE OTR can be used with the MAF and works perfectly fine with the MAF.. $650RRP

exactly what I'm looking for, any info about it ?

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS

are these the ones on eBay? i looked at those too.

Dale@CHE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VT SS
nope we dont sell our parts on ebay...

Dale@CHE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS, VT SS
here is a pic

the pipe is shorter on the maf version and 2 silicon joiners are supplied

VEOTR2.JPG

Hunter SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
looks the part :thumbsup: I'll have to see how my finances go..... need to find out first if i will still have a job in a couple of weeks.... lots of rumours going around about just how many people are going to be laid off at work :rip: