Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noob Alert

E

eroticar

hi guys... seems like a good little forum you've got here. I'm currently a member of fordlaser.com (my current car is a KF 4 door sedan), but I'm looking to upgrade to a VR/VS (hopefully the latter) Berlina. Now ..the questions I need to ask are:

1. Anyone know roughly how many berlinas were made in manual? I'd REALLY like to find one. I'm probably gonna buy a v6 ... simply due to my age. I guess if I came across a nice supercharged v6 calais or something at the right price - I'd take that.
2. Mods to an ecotec v6. What sorta stuff can be done? I know the whole exhaust, extractors, polished heads thing.. what else tho?

Any help would be appreciated.

-eroticar.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Hi Noob

Welcome aboard Justcommodores, glad to hear your switching sides and you couldn't do much better than a manual VS!

Some info for your questions...

1. Can't give u an exact figure, but not many. None for the Calais either, u may find some conversions thow. YOu might be better off looking at the 'S' packs as these are easier to find in manual, plus have most of the options that the Berlina has, but with better road handling (FE2 suspension) and a nice discreet bodykit and boot lip spoiler.

2. Mods that can be done are the same as most EFI engines, you can shave a bit off the heads, increase compression ratio, new cam, put a new ECU etc etc. If you want something with a bit of performance you could even look at getting a VS Supercharged V6.
Would definately have a lot of go, just prolly a little more expensive.

Good luck with the decision.

E

eroticar

I've been a Holden Man all throughout my younger years.. even made it into the 2002 HRT Annual in a photo with Mark Skaife... at that time I owned a laser.. . It was just a first car thing.. that's all. Hmm.. well. I've been through all this. I really want a manual, that's the thing. an S would give me more chance of having a manual.. but then, they didn't make supercharged S's anyway? Not until the VT version that is. I liked the sleeper look.. that's why I was going for the Berlina. I'd buy an S if I found a nice one tho.

I'd really like a manual.. but then again, I'd really like a supercharged V6 as well! ahh... decisions decisions. Any ideas on how much it'd cost to do a manual conversion... and also... a supercharged V6 engine into an S/Berlina? Also, prices on VS Berlinas/S's? What do you think is reasonable?

Thanks again.

-eroticar.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Good to hear there mate, I had lots of fun with my first car, it was shitbox.

No luck with supercharged S or Berlina. Holden only ever made VS Calais with superchargers, and they're probably a bit heavy and no chance of a manaul (again, unless converted).

Manual conversion to a 5speed would probably be of excess of 2 grand.

But a manual with a supercharged engine, plus looms, bigger brakes, diff, hmm probably 5-6ish? If not more.

VT-S pak with supercharged engine & manual, hard to find them down here in Victoria.

Reasonable prices for Berlina/S?
Hmm, around the 14-15 g mark I'd say, had my eye on this S pack in the tradie, don't mind the manual 6s.

D

death-from-above

For a nice berlina i reckon you would be looking at anywhere from 10k - 14k depending on options and mods....

Lord-Data

Reaction score
Website
www.VIDGuide.com
Members Ride
Impulse Blue VE SV6
Depends how much shopping around you do .. $8990 for a VS I Calais .. paint has a few minor scratches, and there was a few mechanical problems they fixed for me.. (dealer, sold with waruntee and RWC), and its running pretty smooth .. so if you shop around, you can get a good deal .. has a sunroof too

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Thats a good deal there.
I paid just a little less for my VP calais.

BUt mine had about 120,000 on the clock, immac in and out, and not one scratch on the duco.

I prefer to pay a grand or two more and get one that has been treated really well.