Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noob startin out

Reaction score
Hey hey, my first post, so just sayin, hello all, happy to be here, and hopin to get some help :)

Right, I'm a noob.

I got my holden VR commodore stationwagon of my parents, no treble watsoever out o it, I want new speakers, specially out da front. Now, I took a good look at my speaker bay on the front doors, an I got no idea how to take of the plastic grill over the speakers. There are holes around da grill and no matter what I try, the grill won't budge, just bend. How do I take it off?

And secondly, will pioneer, jvc, etc. speakers of about 150-250w fit into that speaker system or do I need to amp up. In other words, will the original tuner amp/ tapedeck, handle the speaker, wattage, as to make good sound, without overheating and burnin out?

Thirdly, I've read around here, I gather the speakers are supposed to be 6" at da front right?

In the back BTW I will be puttin in this sub. I made it, its a 10" machine, does 32hz at reasonably awsome loudness.:yeah: BTW that is my paintjob :)

enjoy

This one is an optical elusion; but real (serious)

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
yeah you need to pull the whole door off. there are tutorials around the forum, just have a quick search or even better get a workshop manual. lots of piccies and it will be good later on if you ever want to do anything to the car. they are about $50.
6 inch in the front and yes some pioneers/aftermarket will sound ok from the h/u. no burning out of the h/u or anything. sound better with an amp though;) .
nice paint job... how did you do it? lots of clear coat? how are you going to power the sub? looks like an inbuilt amp that needs 240VAC to power it...

Reaction score
Yeah cheers, lots a coats, painstaicking probs, thined paints. so on. Cheeres wif the news. Now, the sub.

The amp inside runs on 12v. I stuck that plug 4 power on there :) My dad modified a PC powersupply for the 12v rail to power the amp wif enough wats. So thats no probs :) I use it wif my pc at da moment. And it's runnin of 240v into the power supply :) out to the controlled amp and then all that speaker gooooodeness runs true :). Bypasssin the PSu is no problem at all. :king:

Reaction score
right, I ended up gettin some xplod's as they sounded the best at strathfield. I put one in so far, I gotta admit, less base from em then the originals, but wif alot more treble. So yeah.

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
Yeah, stock speakers are chosen because they will sound good running from the low powered stock head unit. Aftermarket speakers will lack bass but should sound clearer.

Xplod sounded better than Pioneer? You should shop at a different store, Strathfield sell crap.

Reaction score
NO! They played many songs, the Bass in the PIONEERS was much greater, wif no treble. Thats wat it was.

BTW. If I underpower the speaker and try to make it play loud, will it distort, coz thats happenin ri now, I don't even play real loud, jus fair enough to hear it good, and the biatch is distortin.

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
yup it will distort, turn it down or ull be replacing them speakers too soon. is that sub an MGX1200 because if it is than that will sh!t all over most cheap subs u put in there. my bro had a couple of them b4 his JL's and i swear they are the best cheap sub for their money. but good luck with ur car and stereo, hope all goes well

Cheers,tukrbox

Reaction score
I'll say this,

There was no info on the sub, but dad got it from the market with the amp, now, he is a huge audio enuthusiast and gave it a good test, sais that it beats the response 10" we have aswell. He said all this stuff bout it an then said it was good. Maybe, but m8, it is a 10" - sorry. BTW thanks for the hope.

I think I'm gonna have to change the headunit soon as the unit puts out no treble. That sh!ts me off. I wanted a knew fone instead. I was originally gonna get a mp3 fone and make it play strait into the headunit, No luck. hmm, any suggestions?

StoneX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais-V 6.0L
What do you mean the head unit outputs no treble? All head units output whatever they are playing.

Pioneer speakers make more than enough treble, they are known for having too much.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yes the speakers will distort if u turn them up loud
aftermarekt speakers usually have 4x22W rms per channel, i believe that headunit may be putting out anywhere from 10-15W rms per channel
you obviously have the bass set too high...( i like bass but too much makes it sound muffled)

you have 6" splits i believe from memory they go pretty hard un amped... HOWEVER that was with a aftermarket headunit... before touching the speakers my advice is get a new headunit....

it will also have a rca output
and i hope you intend on running a 12v->240V converter as thats what the amp requires.....

you eq on the current headunit is probbly BADLY setup.... just fiddle with it... as for turning it up loud... i amped up my front speakers (responce splits) before hand they distorted with loud volumes (didnt have it loud constantly)
now they go louder than my ears can take with ease....

if you want clearer sound invest in a 4x50W amp for the speakers a new headunit and stay away from X-plode

btw what kind of music are you into, you may want to custom setup your audio to suit it...