Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Noob startin out

Reaction score
Right lets straiten this out (my budget is largley limited, so only time will get to stuff :)

I have this;

1. Sony xs-gf1631x speakers out da front. never use rears. It's a station wagon.
2. Stock headunit
3. My amp for the sub is originally 12v, a computer psu was put in to drive it from 240v to its original 12v input. (so no converter needed)

When I say no treble, there is some, but the tone knob on the HU only dampens the sound from lowest to half way, and then nufin happens from there onwards :)

BTw wat would be a good but cheaper HU (brand)? type?

Now as for my music, wat comes along goes, I have no specific taste. Part from the fact that I h8 ABC classic :)

Yeah; electronic, jazz, rock, hiphop etc.

I'm kinda thinkin of doin this;

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/attachment.php?attachmentid=9873

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
What was the question again?

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
nah that ipod wouldnt be a good idea...

1. ipods are designed to play into headphones...yes they output a signal but if its still going through the stock system then its still going to sound like it has no trebble
2.remember its a "headunit" not a cd player... meaning it does more than just play music... it has a amplifier included, a pre amp, equilizers, noise gates, limiters, radio tuner and cd player in it...
3.FAR too easy for someone to steal.....its like leaving a wad of $400 cash on the center console..

if you get a new one the speakers you have will sound 100x better (even stockies)
im running a 2nd hand clarion unit i got off my mate for $120 (worth round $400)
it does mp3's and has 2xRCA outputs (used for my many amps lol)

as for the subwoofer, lol using a 240V ATX power supply?? thats a new one... lol... it is possible to convert it to a power amp but what kind of preamp are you using???? as for a converter, they can be VERY pricey for that amount of power required... best off leaving that inside... getting your self a nice 4 ohms sub and a 4 ohms car amp (12V) and setting the system up... remember headunit first lol

pioneer have some good ones out and for not a bad price
clarion are also good
kenwood are alright but my brothers having issues with his
alpine.... GOOD QUALLITY S%T, but expensive and probbly out of your budget

im talking purely from what ive seen and heard/installed

your headunits probbly stuffed lol... that'd be the first thing i'd get.... ive been through 3 headunits in my car already... and i like the clarion one the best =D

semi

GOD
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR exec wagon
god, this thread is incredibly confusing. Youre using the power supply from a computer to amp your subs??

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
Semi....no, but he could take it inside his house and do that.

Reaction score
All I would like is some decent sound wif this setup. I'm not looking for a fancy pancy crazy ass speaker sytem. My intention in the beggining was this.

1.Upgrade speakers for better treble. As the original one's were sheit.

2.Get a mp3 playin fone to output directly into the HU. No new HU.

Don't wry bout the sub peeps, I only wanted to show ya my proud an hard wrk. Thats all, no probs there.

Now I need, an AMP, HU, Which should cost around $500 as the 4*50w amp costs around $250 and a good HU cost from $150 upwards.

Wat to do. Wat to do.

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
yep, the pioneer headunits are good, and nice and cheap
as for 4x50 amps you might want to try a response(jaycar) one... they're pretty good and dont cost you too much,

btw nice work on converting that psu to a power amp :D

just exploring the senario you did go with the mp3 player(phone), does your cd player have cd input? (3.5mm jack)

unless your constantly charging your phone that could drain alot of power from the phone its self, and due to the low voltage that the mp3 player would put out the headunit would need to work harder to amplify the signal... ie wont go as loud, but still a good idea, i considered putting a laptop in my car for a while untill i broke the audio output on the lappy and just got a headunit... hak hawk uses a pc in his glove box for music/gps, oh well im sure you'll figure somethin out
cheers