Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

noob with a Q

final_drive220

Reaction score
Members Ride
S1
Hello all, My names Justin, I found this site when I was looking for engine upgrades. This site seems to be one of the best for early 3.8 tuning. ;) I don't have a Commodore but I have a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville. It has a buick 3.8 in it. I have a question. What are the engine classifications in relation to those in north America? from what I gather the pre-ecotec is what we call an LN3, the ecotec is our Series 1 and the series 2 is the same in both regions. Is this correct?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
Hello all, My names Justin, I found this site when I was looking for engine upgrades. This site seems to be one of the best for early 3.8 tuning. ;) I don't have a Commodore but I have a 1990 Pontiac Bonneville. It has a buick 3.8 in it. I have a question. What are the engine classifications in relation to those in north America? from what I gather the pre-ecotec is what we call an LN3, the ecotec is our Series 1 and the series 2 is the same in both regions. Is this correct?

Pre Series 1 - LN3 = Our series 1 VN engine.
Series 1 - L27 = Our Series 2 VN engine (also VP, VR) but here it maintains the LN3 intake manifold.
Series 2 - L36 = Our ecotec.