Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

normal air intake vs pod filter vs cold air intake: fuel economy

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
i got an extreme top k&n pod that huge for offroad racing only
the box has a flow chart on it but doesnt come up any good in a pic
it show's that the pod i got flow's 881cfm the k&n panel flow's 440cfm
most standard panel filter's flow around 320cfm and cheapo pod's flow around 430cfm hope this help's

jet_pilot

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp executive
lol restepa me julie havnt seen for ages laugh every time i see those......um car thing's

Kaindya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 3.8L S2
Am i right?..

the vs unlike the vr has an air flow sensor which effects fuel to air mixture ratios controlled by the ECU..?

therefore adding a CAI in a vr would increase comsumption but in a vs the ECU would change parameters for the better economy?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
adding a CAI in any car should reduce consumption. ****ing with the sensors on the engine is going to increase consumption. doesn't matter if it's a VS with a MAF sensor of a VR with a MAP sensor

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
Am i right?..

the vs unlike the vr has an air flow sensor which effects fuel to air mixture ratios controlled by the ECU..?

therefore adding a CAI in a vr would increase comsumption but in a vs the ECU would change parameters for the better economy?

the VR has a different method of guaging the volume of air entering the engine bay, using map instead of maf.
both these sensor types measure air volume and not temperature, so there is no way that they can increase or decrease fuel economy due to an addition of a CAI.

existentialist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
the VR has a different method of guaging the volume of air entering the engine bay, using map instead of maf.
both these sensor types measure air volume and not temperature, so there is no way that they can increase or decrease fuel economy due to an addition of a CAI.

But how does it measure the volume of air?

If you look inside the air flow meter of a VS, you will see thin little wire-like things going across it.

They measure the volume according to the resistance of those wires. When more air passes through them, it will cool them down, affecting their resistance.

So the temp of the air matters, eg. if the air is colder, the engine will think there is more air.... I'm just not sure about how much the air temp sensor compensates for this.

In my car I haven't connected the temp sensor so I guess it eliminates that variable.

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
But how does it measure the volume of air?

If you look inside the air flow meter of a VS, you will see thin little wire-like things going across it.

They measure the volume according to the resistance of those wires. When more air passes through them, it will cool them down, affecting their resistance.

So the temp of the air matters, eg. if the air is colder, the engine will think there is more air.... I'm just not sure about how much the air temp sensor compensates for this.

In my car I haven't connected the temp sensor so I guess it eliminates that variable.

you've missed my point. i was replying to what kaindya said, in relation to the maf and map sensors. so read it again if you must. the conclusion he came to was incorrect and i was explaining this.

if the air is cooler then its going to contain more oxygen, but its still the same volume of air, so cooler air isnt going to "trick" the maf sensor. although i do understand how you might have come about your conclusion with this, unfortunately it is not the case.
a/f ratios are controlled by the pcm's readings of the o2 sensors in closed loop, whilst in open loop the volumetic efficiency tables in the tune on the memcal are utilised.
the maf and map sensors only play a small part in governing air/fuel ratios - so in theory even if your idea of cooler air tricking the maf into thinking there was a larger volume of air passing it than there actually is, then the o2 sensors would be trimming accordingly anyway.

in any case adding a CAI will help with ecomomy, due to the increased oxygen present in cooler air - regardless whether they are map of maf equiped engines.

also in regards to your air temp sensor - i wouldnt be doing any high rpm with it not plugged in, its responsible for altering the timing - which is very important to keep the engine from pinging/detonation.

whitevrboi

Just another white vr.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive S2
ok well i dunno much bout sensors and the finer details and specs but i replaced my standard box and panel filter with a holden cold air intake and cheap pod, boxed with the front of the box cut out (so the pod would fit) and i have noticed and decrease in fuel use and better, smoother acceleration and also an improved engine and exhaust note. just my 2 cents.

Kaindya

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive 3.8L S2
cool i was just clearing that up... i have always known that adding a CAI would increase economy but earlier in this thread got me confused...so in a vr i guess the MAT (manifold air temp sensor) would be the sensor responsible for this..

yes immortality i agree with you, i dont understand why people put pods in and remove the sensors on the vs..

whitevrboy i have recently added the cai only and have also noticed a smoother acceleration, but yet to see how fuel consumption goes.