Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not all THUMPS are normal

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Hi all,

Just letting you all know that the thump that I was experiencing as my gears changed from 2nd to 3rd under light acceleration has been deemed as a faulty box.

After quite a few discussion with the Holden agent I was told the thump was normal because the box was a "rough box". If this was the case, why did they try to update the software so many times?

Taking the car to a different dealer, I soon learnt that there was actually an internal fault with the box and it is now being replaced under warranty.

If you have this thump, please persist in someone giving you answers as it will only cost big $$$ in the long run

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
thanks, although not good news for me as the warranty has just expired on mine :cry:

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Whether your warranty has only just ran out is irrelevant. If you can prove that you have asked Holden to check it previously, it will be noted on their computer system. Please get in touch with your dealer and if you are not happy with the outcome, take it further.

Torquative

Sports Economy
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 3.6L SIDI 6sp
I havent had any issues with it tho and its done 110 000 kays now so maybe mine was built on a Monday morning lol.

=SKB=

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just letting you all know that the thump that I was experiencing as my gears changed from 2nd to 3rd under light acceleration has been deemed as a faulty box.

After quite a few discussion with the Holden agent I was told the thump was normal because the box was a "rough box". If this was the case, why did they try to update the software so many times?

Taking the car to a different dealer, I soon learnt that there was actually an internal fault with the box and it is now being replaced under warranty.

If you have this thump, please persist in someone giving you answers as it will only cost big $$$ in the long run

How big a thump we talking about? Did it start as a small, barely noticeable problem and become a larger one, or it did it just let go all of a sudden? Useful info for others to look at in future.

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Take notice when your car changes from 1st to 2nd, then if you have any difference in sound as it changes from 2nd to 3rd under light acceleration ie school zones are great for testing, maybe it would pay to have it investigated.
It's more like a thump as it goes into gear (similar sound to backlash but not as loud.) Then 3rd gear onwards is smooth with no thump or thud.

If you have a thump, you will know... turn the tunes down and listen carefully

It is important to remember that the "thump" does not occur under hard acceleration.

I was originally told it was the because the computer had memorised the way I drive.... mmm.... seems like just another excuse now

=SKB=

Reaction score
I was originally told it was the because the computer had memorised the way I drive.... mmm.... seems like just another excuse now

That's a good one. Good info for people who might be having issues :D

Troy711

Retired Old Fart
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
2011 Mitsubishi Pajero GLS
ive also noticed it thuds when you go from N to D.. and occasionally from 2nd to 1st at traffic lights

how long is the gearbox under warrenty? ive always said mine is going to have a new gearbox put in before 3 years/100,000 kays

Chicka

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Exec Alloytec 2004
Im not sure Troy, but my car has just hit the 90000kms and has only just run out of warranty this week, being 3 years since delivery, however, because the problem was documented at 75000km the dealer has agreed to replace the box under warranty for me

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
can you feel the car sortof shunt at the same time? might have to get back to the dealers again