Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not enough power :(

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
yeah I already kinda knew the rpm vs alternator amperage...anything would be better then the
worn out stock v6 one I have now though...
It is tax time so I think my plan of attack will be;
Source a new alternator, Big 3, New wire to mono block and install the 4 channel amp
and see how I go from their...hopefully that will fix the problem...
Oh and probably neaten up my boot install...kinda plain at the moment.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
You would be better off just running 0-gauge to the boot, and from a distributor, 0-gauge to the mono and 4-gauge to the 4-channel amp.

Depending what wiring you have now, you can cut that up and use it for the Big 3 wiring.

kcpwns

Kicker - Livin' Loud :)
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY V6 Equipe
I was gonna run 0 to the boot then t to both amps...
Don't have any cable ATM I have ordered some so just
Waiting on that...I'll probably end up getting more anyway for
The big 3...
Damn money pit of a stereo lol

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
hey, are them l7s ported or sealed ?

If anyone has sealed L7s they deserve to be shot, LOL. They are very much suited to ported, but we will see what the kcpwns says, while I prepare a gun just in case.

@Kcpwns, what cable do you have going to the mono at the moment?

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
I wouldn’t think cable is the issue at this stage as that would affect the systems performance, not result in dimming headlights. It sounds like the system is hogging the power so it is getting enough juice. Check the current draw, measure the current the system is drawing with music at the level you listen and I think you will find you may need a bigger alternator and perhaps a higher rated battery. Ideally a larger alternator and a second deep cycle battery.

Crisis63

Reaction score
Members Ride
Monaro CV8R, Landcruiser 100 Series 4.7L
Drawing large currents through a small cable will make the lights dim - it's called voltage drop.

Yes but the voltage would drop for the equipment drawing the current. As the lights are dimming that would point to current drop at that point however as they don’t appear to be changed it is unlikely they would be drawing excessive current.
In this case it looks like the sound system is drawing current in excess of what the battery and alternator can keep up with and it is affecting other accessories. The writer has not mentioned the current draw manifesting itself as an issue with the sound system therefore there does not appear to be a problem with the current being supplied to it. I would definitely ensure the cabling is sufficient but as I said the only way to make sure is to measure what it is drawing.

one_and_only2004

Turbo L98 FTW
Reaction score
Members Ride
Z Series Thunder Utility - Turbo
Yes but the voltage would drop for the equipment drawing the current. As the lights are dimming that would point to current drop at that point however as they don’t appear to be changed it is unlikely they would be drawing excessive current.

No, it'll drop voltage for the entire installation (hence why house lights dim when you're starting up a decent sized air compressor or something with a motor when the cable isn't up to scratch).

wrx884

WA's ASR Rep
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec/ VT L67 Spac, 5L VP Calais, 77 TC Gemini
y dont u re new ur regulator 1st or find out that its up 2 scratch b4 u buy a whole new alternator? could b all it needs along with the Big 3 upgrade.