Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not felling the Manta 2.5 exhaust

Woodsy104

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VE Commodore SSV Sedan
they never told me that, they were putting xforce and i opted for manta, never mentioned about this loud or quiet thing
the quiet system is, quiet as the name entails. the system I have on my car is the medium which gives it some v8 noise

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
Performance shop says they are good and bring good torque.
They certainly gave you some "good talk" telling you nonsense like that. Big primaries kills torque with reduced air speed and you always use the smallest primaries that doesn't rob the engine of horsepower. Businesses of presumed knowledge telling people nonsense who are seeking advice in good faith is seriously wrong.

Last edited:

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
2inch headers

Who makes 2 inch primaries off-the-shelf?

I always ask for as loud as f@*k as no exhaust ever sounds loud enough for me.

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
The first custom V8 exhaust I did was on that basis, it was an HQ 253 panel van and I did a twin 2" off stock manifolds with 18" Can Am hotdogs no balance pipe. It was a loud "thong clapper" extreme and the van got some notoriety for it's awesome exhaust note in the day!

If you ran a pair of 24" hotdogs each side of the tail shaft and 18" hotdogs in the stock muffler location, no balance pipe off stock manifolds, gave a 253 a more 350 Chev note. 308's were a bit quieter than 253's and extractors made them quieter mid range and louder on the top end.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
The first custom V8 exhaust I did was on that basis, it was an HQ 253 panel van and I did a twin 2" off stock manifolds with 18" Can Am hotdogs no balance pipe. It was a loud "thong clapper" extreme and the van got some notoriety for it's awesome exhaust note in the day!

If you ran a pair of 24" hotdogs each side of the tail shaft and 18" hotdogs in the stock muffler location, no balance pipe off stock manifolds, gave a 253 a more 350 Chev note. 308's were a bit quieter than 253's and extractors made them quieter mid range and louder on the top end.

I had the a similar setup on my L34 powered HX Ute, a Can Am exhaust (the duck's guts at the time) with tuned length headers (I don't know what the primary sizes were) a pair of 30 inch hot dogs with one either side of the tail shaft and no other mufflers.

It rattled the windows as I drove by and when I took it out at night you could hear me from all over town, my mum used to say she always knew I was on my way home but as loud as it was it still had a nice note to it.

But the Highway Patrol when it hit town didn't think so and after a couple of yellow canaries I learnt to keep it in the shed when they were visiting.

I had a 350 SBC in an LX with a twin 3 inch and that's the first time I ever played with a balance pipe and it sounded more like an LS1 than anything else.

I miss the days when without seeing them you knew which one of your mates was prowling around town.

vr304

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 ssv manual
Who makes 2 inch primaries off-the-shelf?

I believe pacemaker do a 2 inch primary header extractors a local performance shop in my town uses them on their supercharged ve/vf builds

RevNev

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline Ute
I had a 350 SBC in an LX with a twin 3 inch and that's the first time I ever played with a balance pipe and it sounded more like an LS1 than anything else.

I miss the days when without seeing them you knew which one of your mates was prowling around town.
I played with balance pipes and didn't like them (sound wise) as the V8 thump is we wanted to hear in the day. Late '94 I bought a VR GTS and it sounded like a VL 6 cylinder stock. It had 2 balance (H-pipes) and the next day was a Saturday after collecting the car, I cut through the balance pipes and welded a plate in there to block them off and sounded like a V8 and massively better!

LS1's in VT's I used to collect a twin 2.5" into a single 3.5" rear muffler I'd make with no H or X pipes and that sounded pretty good but not as good as the same exhaust with a Holden V8 engine. The Holden V8 in the early VT's had the better exhaust note I thought!

The best LS1 exhaust I did was a VT Maloo ute and had the exhaust outlets on either side and room to fit big rear mufflers. It was a Tri-y Pacemaker header and twin 2.5" exhaust , zero cell cats with a pair of 14" centre offset Lukey's and 2 Lukey 2441's on the rear, they were centre offset 16" long 6" diameter round mufflers Lukey used on their VL V8 2.5" system. No H or X pipe, this LS1 sounded like traditional "old school" V8!

What messes the LS1 note up a lot, is this ideology they "must" run an H or X pipe to make horsepower. I haven't dyno tested more than 3 or 4 cars, but the one's I have tested with and without H or X pipes, made no power difference on a full road car exhaust. I think it boils down to the note you like best more than the massive power gain we're influenced to believe that an H or X pipe makes.

I changed the X-pipe design on the Maloo mid pipe I have on my Redline ute into merge collector style X with a smaller 1 7/8" crossover and improved the note over the HSV X-pipe.

This is a pretty raw video with my phone on the side of the road and a quick blast, but the modification re-introduced a bit more V8 thump mid range and blends into that high pitched X-pipe note further up the rev range.

Reactions: Lex