Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not key prob... Starter motor??

ninjasan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
Hey
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with starter motors etc with VZ models. Had a Locksmith look at it thinking it was the key sensor and $184 later he told me it must be the starter motor or relay because the key is ok.

The problem is the car wont turn over at all (dead) but on a very rare occasion it will start. Battery is fine.

Anyone with similar problems or advise out there.
Thanks in advance for reading

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Hey
Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with starter motors etc with VZ models. Had a Locksmith look at it thinking it was the key sensor and $184 later he told me it must be the starter motor or relay because the key is ok.

The problem is the car wont turn over at all (dead) but on a very rare occasion it will start. Battery is fine.

Anyone with similar problems or advise out there.
Thanks in advance for reading

if you go to the starter relay and bridge terminals 86 and 30 does the engine crank normally? if you do this have the ignition on, it should start the motor

ninjasan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
if you go to the starter relay and bridge terminals 86 and 30 does the engine crank normally? if you do this have the ignition on, it should start the motor

Ok I'll try that and see what happens, cheers.

ninjasan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz

Hey, yeah I tried bridging 30 and 86...absolutely nothing, dead.

On the "System Check" it says "Very Low Fuel...Service Vehicle Soon...Fuel Gauge Error" so I put 20 litres of fuel in and pulled out the ECM 10 amp fuse to see if the system would reset and tried again. No change.

The engine must be immobilized due to the fuel gauge error. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks again

andyman

The Only 6sp VZ Wagon
Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 BT50 4x4, 84 Hilux 4x4 & 05 Husky TE450
Hey, yeah I tried bridging 30 and 86...absolutely nothing, dead.

On the "System Check" it says "Very Low Fuel...Service Vehicle Soon...Fuel Gauge Error" so I put 20 litres of fuel in and pulled out the ECM 10 amp fuse to see if the system would reset and tried again. No change.

The engine must be immobilized due to the fuel gauge error. Does anyone know how to fix this?
Thanks again

ah ok yep, it wont start because of that then, i take it you have disconnected the battery for 10min or so and re try it?

get some one with a scan tool to pop around and see what error codes it spitting out

ninjasan1

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz
ah ok yep, it wont start because of that then, i take it you have disconnected the battery for 10min or so and re try it?

get some one with a scan tool to pop around and see what error codes it spitting out

Ok mate I guess I have to admit defeat and call someone... yeah I did have the battery disconnected for a while.
Thanks for your help, keep the good work up ;p