Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[308] Not running like it used to

policehoon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ EQUIPE
Its most probably "your dad's full of it". For a 308 to get to that kind of revs, it would cost you a fortune.

How about stop "the back yard playing" around with an engine and put it onto a performance mechanic or a dyno.

At the momemt it sounds like your "pulling at straws" looking for something wrong when in fact there is nothing to find.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Its most probably "your dad's full of it". For a 308 to get to that kind of revs, it would cost you a fortune.

How about stop "the back yard playing" around with an engine and put it onto a performance mechanic or a dyno.

At the momemt it sounds like your "pulling at straws" looking for something wrong when in fact there is nothing to find.

"that" was not particularly "helpful" buddy. "why not" try some real "suggestions" or put it in a way that doesn't seem quite so "rude"

OP - There is the possibility your dad has forgotten, or since driving other cars has become desensitized to the power. I could get higher revs with my VL 304, don't think it is a great comparison but i tend to think something with your munro might be amiss.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle

rude as and if he's got a monaro hes got some money true lol

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
did greenfoam tell you how to check the coil? also dose your distributor have vac advance? is it working vkberlina told me how to check and i know mines farked ifn you can suck trough it its stuffed. got any pictures of this beast?

We're throwing on another spare one to try it out.

It does have vacuum advance. But are you SURE you're not meant to be able to suck it through? Because ours can.

also what carby are you running?

Rochester 4-Barrell

Or a case that you shouldn't be here because you're not helping the situation. Dad's NOT full of it. I know he's not, because he's had 3 others ALSO state that it used to rev to 7000. Capiche?

What's wrong with "backyard playing"? Dad is VERY mechanically minded, and the motor he built so long ago, in his bedroom, is still in PERFECT condition.

Oh yes. You must be right because you're just ASSUMING everything.

OP - There is the possibility your dad has forgotten, or since driving other cars has become desensitized to the power. I could get higher revs with my VL 304, don't think it is a great comparison but i tend to think something with your munro might be amiss.

Maybe so to the power. (I still have my grounds to say otherwise), but not the RPM difference. You wouldn't forget that.

rude as and if he's got a monaro hes got some money true lol

Well. We've got a 'LITTLE' money. The divorce drained him a bit, but he's getting back on his feet and just looking ahead.

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/crazy_biker/Monaro/07092008025.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa79/crazy_biker/Monaro/07092008026.jpg

There's just two photo's for those that have asked :p

I haven't got an easily accessible photo for the entire front end, but that's just a teaser. I'll get some PROPER shots eventually and post them.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
i was told thats how to check it without a timing light also id go to a holley much better and as for the monaro shes a sweet piece of pie lol good work.just though chuck some dump pipes on those twins will look sweet.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
i was told thats how to check it without a timing light also id go to a holley much better and as for the monaro shes a sweet piece of pie lol good work.just though chuck some dump pipes on those twins will look sweet.

Holley? NO WAY. :p

Best thing that ever happened to that thing was it got a rochester 4 barrell.

More tunable. More power. More fuel economic.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
how to check with timing light You can disconnect the vacuum line(as you always should when timing an engine) and run the engine at idle. Take note of the rough amount of advance under these conditions. Then reattach the vacuum line and note the amount of advance. It should have changed such that there is significantly more advance occurring.

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
Well I first test is gonna be the coil. Then after that, we'll be looking at the dizzy.

leigh 7005

Reaction score
Members Ride
vb sle
Holley? NO WAY. :p

Best thing that ever happened to that thing was it got a rochester 4 barrell.

More tunable. More power. More fuel economic.

really all of mine must be farked then but as they say each to there own hey

crazybiker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore V6
really all of mine must be farked then but as they say each to there own hey

Dad just preferred that the Rochester had the different sized secondary's to the primary's, so it made it more efficient. Where the holley, has 4 equally sized barrells.