Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not serviced for 3 years

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
Hi everybody,

As the title suggests I haven't had my car serviced in 3 years. Dumb I know so I'm happy to cop some slack for it.

I haven't serviced it because I have only travelled 4085kms in this time. I had a work vehicle that I also used for personal use.

The car literally sits in the garage doing nothing, out of sight, out of mind. I haven't given servicing it any thought as I've figured it’s not doing the KMs to justify the work required at the service intervals. It would be up for its 120,000 KM service had I kept up with the servicing schedule though it has only done 33,531 KMs.

I am leaving that job and will start using my car again. I have only just learned that oil amongst other fluids in the car can 'go off', so regardless of the KMs I've done this oil is way past its used by date?

I plan to do an oil change at minimum ASAP, should I be doing an engine oil flush also?

What else should I be doing with the car after having it sit around so long. As it stands it runs/drives fine. I charged the battery in it every so often so no issue there.

Thanks all :)

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
People will tell you all sorts of things about oil going off and oxidising and all the rest of it but it's all just stories they heard from their mates uncles brothers aunty.
I would suggest taking the car for a gentle 15 minute drive then give it a oil change with a quality oil. Something like HP5, Helix Ultra, Synpower etc.
Then if everything feels good Bob's your uncle. Go with the oil flush if you want to.

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Brake fluid should also be done...

Milo 6.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 vf ssv wagon/2009 fg xr6t(daily
If you believe oil doesn't degrade/break down over time id just drive it and it will be fine...
Otherwise id be changing every fluid/oil.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
Change all fluids regardless of any advice to the contrary as it's cheap insurance.

Check all rubber hoses and change anything that has a hint of aging.

Check the brake lines and callipers when changing out the fluid.

If the vehicle has sat in one spot for a long time without the tyre pressures being regularly checked the tyres could also be flat spotted, this is one problem I've faced a few times over the years.

Get some fresh fuel into the tank.

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
Wow vfeffed!...very similar situation to the MY14 CalaisV (V6 sedan) that I called the RACQ out to today. It was Dad’s..he passed away mid 2016 and Mum doesn’t drive anymore so it’s been sitting in a shed. It was purchased new in December 2013 but has had intermittent running in the last 3yrs, was serviced 2yrs ago but hasn’t been started since around Easter this year. Early 30ks on the clock just like yours.

RACQ voltmeter read nothing initially but then he got 1.5V...pretty good if it were a triple A cell :p

He then used a meter to read the alternator and we watched it recover from about 2 into the 20s...he reckons it was worth charging the battery with that sort of rapid recovery, so I’ve got it on charge for 24hrs to see how it goes...not bad for a 6yr old battery but then again I had the original battery in my VE changed after 8yrs and it still hadn’t let me down...just wasn’t as sharp to fire up one winter so changed it before it had a chance to let me down.

Anyway I hope to take it out tomorrow after checking air in tyres, give it a good wash, get it in for a service (mate at Bridgestone) and then put it with a Dealer to have the power steering recall (which coincidentally arrived in the mail a week ago) seen to.

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
When you buy your new HPR or whatever, be sure to check that it was recently produced - get the sales guy to check the batch number. Otherwise, if the pack was sitting in a storeroom out the back for a few years this too could have gone off :-(

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Change all fluids, and it might pay to fit fresh tires...

rossimo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt s2 wagon
Change all fluids, check brake pistons aren't siezed, check all rubbers under the bonnet, run and check the ac still works fine, check the tyres over and drive it.

vfeffed

Reaction score
Members Ride
2013 VF SV6 Manual
Hi everyone!

Thanks for the comments. Ok I will change all fluids starting with the engine oil first.

@panhead - The tyres are inflated correctly, I did check this when the thought popped in my head every so often. As for the fuel I only ever put 20 litres or so in it at a time as I was atleast awear that fuel does go off. The K's it has done were mainly out of guilt having it sit there doing nothing so I dont think the tyres have flat spots.

@Holden17 - Goodluck Let me know how the service goes, anything that was wrong that I can lookout for. I have a calcium battery charger, I think I have charged the battery atleast 3 times, not because it was flat, just knew they loose charge.

I'm still yet to have the power steering issue fixed, called the dealer about it the other day and the reply was "well we have a lot of them to do, so it's going to take time" lol.