Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

not sure with panhard, and other's..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Polyurethane bushes are like bearings, they need cleaning and regreasing periodically and they will last almost forever.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
went to Holden today, and got the panhard rubbers, they were only $2.50 each. They said its highly unlikely that the metal around the rubber will be worn, and that i wouldnt need a new bar. So i'll get around to that tommorow, and hopefully it all turns out well. Tried to get the spring insultaors, only one's Repco ect stocked were the nothelane? one's, from what ive heard, they can be a bit harsh, ride wise, and dont last as long...? So i'll have to see holden about getting some stndard ones..Thanks for the help so far guys:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The factory rubber bushes are 1 piece, and are a mongrel to replace. Aftermarket ones are 2 piece and are easy to do.

I replace them easily by using detergent on the new rubbers and giving them a good hard shove -they slide in pretty easily then, but if you try it with them dry, then yeah, mongrels.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
i'll remember the detergent when i do it tommorow, hopefully it will stop raining by then. Tossing up which springs to put in, i have some some kings stnd lows, and some stock springs, both sets are in super cond, but i'm thinking the kings may wear may wear my shocks out.....

centy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vp series 2
mate if you want to go low then you need a new panhard rod and shocks to match the springs.
to get the old panhard bushes out cut one side of them level with the metal then they just push out.
insulators are the rubbers above and below the springs one is dirt cheap and the other is about $25 ea. just can't remember which is which.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
The reason Centy advises a new panhard rod if you were to lower the car is because the suspension is pushed to one side permanently as the suspension is lowered. It's for this reason that adjustable panhard rods are recommended for lowered Commodores.

If you stick to stock springs, no worries though.

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
the bushes in the rear control arms, ive seen for as low as $15, plus $9 P+H, are these worth replacing seeing as their so cheap?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
the bushes in the rear control arms, ive seen for as low as $15, plus $9 P+H, are these worth replacing seeing as their so cheap?

If you are referring to the upper control arms, yes, they should probably be replaced if your car has a few k's on it because they lead a very hard life and can wear out severely. You would be amazed what a difference it makes to completely re-bush your suspension front and rear with a car as old as a VP, if it hasn't been done before.

I made up a full set of removal tools from timber and steel pipe with heavy end plates and threaded bolt a few years ago, to replace all bushes front and rear in my VR, which had travelled about 300k without any of the bushes being replaced.

It was a difficult job for some of the bushes but the transformation in the car's ride and comfort, and the lack of bangs and rattles from the rear end, was amazing.

All the tools just sit in the cupboard in the garage now but they are quite easy to make yourself.

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
Bjorn, I will have to remember that (regreasing polyurethanes) for next time I have any of my bushes out..

Panhard bar doesn't really need to be changed until you go past superlows... I had superlows with stock panhard for ages. My theory: if it doesn't guard rub, don't waste your money on an adjustable bar!

Also, damn this thread for reminding me that my trailing arms are in dire need of re-bush / replacement. Axle tramps like a demon.