Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not this again, which engine oil?

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Some time back guys here told me to start using 15W40 in our 270,000 VX Accliam for the lifter noise and overall performance.
Just reading another post about lifter noise and the guys say use 5W30 and 10W30.
We live where its 35 to 40 during the the 6 summer months and a lovely 15 to 20 during the 6 winter months, I now read this has a lot to do with which grade of oil to use.
We tow a camper trailer a lot and change the oil every 10,000 and because of the lifter noise we also use a lifter and a worn engine treatment which reduces the ticking completely for 10,000 ks.
Are there any professionals here that could recommend an oil to use or is it just by trying different oil grades the best way to see which oil is most suitable to an engine.
I know this subject is never ending but I am concerned that we might be using the wrong oil or does it really matter which oil we use.

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Here in the USA I use 5W30 and my area the temperature can go from -6C to 43C (year Min-Max). Never have an issue with the engine and my VE with the L76 does not have the notorious lifter rattle. My oil of choice is Mobil 1 and so far, synthetic is the way to go; also change the oil by the Oil Monitor.

What I know about oil is that has to be thin enough to travel through the engine to lubricate, extract heat at the same time, thick enough to seal and cushion the bearings. Thicker oils is not necessary better. Another thing that play here is how worn is your engine, for that, there are no potions, juices or magic tricks that can cure it. If the oil is getting too hot when you pull a heavy load, might be thinning out due to excessive heat. Perhaps, an engine oil cooler and/or higher capacity oil pan might help with that.

My advice is go with what the manufacturer recommend on the oil grade and changes/services. Debating what brand of oil is best is all academia. The type that I recommend is Synthetic, the brand is immaterial.

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I agree with above , where I live it can get to mid 30's in summer and down to -8 in winter , I currently use Penrite HPR 5w 40 in the Commodore and Mobil 1 in the Alfa , have you spoken to a mechanic to see what they think .

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
personally, regardless of oil and wanting to maintain a healthy yet long lasting engine I would use the liquid intelligence 224 lifter additive. Use the best lifter free with a decent quality oil depending really on the months of the year, with the lower viscosity in the winter 5-10w and a 10-15w in the summer.
If all else fails: time for new lifters, sometimes you can't save them all

Skydrol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Pontiac G8 GT
Bob the Oil Guy, good website, very informative.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
If it's an ecotec, you can run pretty much anything you like in it. It really doesn't matter what you run (within reason), as long as it's changed regularly and is kept clean.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
personally, regardless of oil and wanting to maintain a healthy yet long lasting engine I would use the liquid intelligence 224 lifter additive. Use the best lifter free with a decent quality oil depending really on the months of the year, with the lower viscosity in the winter 5-10w and a 10-15w in the summer.
If all else fails: time for new lifters, sometimes you can't save them all

Interesting how you say time for new lifters because I've asked the same question in here and was told its a waste of time without rebuilding the engine, any thoughts on this.

BlackoutSteve

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH Caprice LS1
You can swap lifters at any time without doing anything else..
I'm double checking this is a V6 yeah? Because LS V8 require the heads off.
But, before you start opening the engine up, you might want to make sure it's actually the lifter/s making noise.
Have you removed any rocker arms and checked for worn pushrod tips and worn pushrod seats?
Roller cams pushrods do not rotate like flat tappets. They wear the in the same place over and over and sometimes they wear excessively and this could be where you clearance/noise is coming from.
Ticking in valve train isn't always a sticky lifter.
Pull a valve cover and start the engine. With a rag, press down on the rocker arm one at a time. When/if a rocker quietens down while applying pressure, you've found the one with clearance. Next is to find out why.

If you're sure it's a lifter/s, you might want to order them ahead of time ex USA from someone like Intense Racing because GMH here want $50 per lifter -exact same AC Delco part and number..
INTENSE Racing: GM LS7 Hydraulic Lifters