Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not this again, which engine oil?

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
I don't have a good understanding of the V6 engine so last weekend we bought a used 2002 V6 engine for $100 and what I'm doing is pulling it apart to see how the engine comes apart and to see whats inside.

Sludge, you'll find sludge, post pics of the sludge ;)

Big_Fudge

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
great idea buying a engine to pull apart. The way learnt about cars and engines was through a simular hands on approach. Be sure that you research as you are pulling apart!
I will be running 15w-40 semi Syn by Nulon when i do my major service.

NeddyBear

Veteran Mountain Biker
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 2.5L Subaru Outback
Thanks guys, yep pictures are nice but I'd rather see her with her pants down.

Last edited:

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
i ran magnatec 10w40 in my ls1 and some time before my 5000km/12 month oil changeover it was ticking when hot. it only used to tick for about the first 3 seconds on startup if it hadn't been ran for a few hours.
but was good to start with.
i then put some castrol edge 5w-30 a3/b4 in and once again only ticks for the first 3 seconds on start up. still sounds great when hot.
imo i think changing the oil more often is more important than getting the 'right grade' so to speak. as once the oil breaks down its not doing the job anyway

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
imo i think changing the oil more often is more important than getting the 'right grade' so to speak. as once the oil breaks down its not doing the job anyway

Agree.
I can hear the difference in general in the engine noise overall (not just at start up) when the oil starts to go off.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E

Agree.
I can hear the difference in general in the engine noise overall (not just at start up) when the oil starts to go off.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore

IMO changing the oil on the recommended periods with THE CORRECT weight oil is most important.

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
my vx is at 420000+km i just run $15 bottles of gulf western quiet as a mouse hasnt had an oil change in 40000km poor thing but has been topped up a few litres over that time.
in our stock bottomend 10 second buick v6 its run gulf for many years but now runs HPR30 cant kill it for trying and again quiet as a mouse even with stock lifters on a decient size bumpstick.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
IMO changing the oil on the recommended periods with THE CORRECT weight oil is most important.

but what is the correct grade?
im not saying the grade is not important
imo the quality of oils and regular change intervals is more important than grade
obviously not something stupid like 25w-50 when its -25 degrees but a 5w-30 or 10w-40 would be more acceptable than not changing when you need to or using poor oil