Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Not this again, which engine oil?

Irukanji

101% Lunacy
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT Exec LS1 A4
Penrite 20W60 in the ecotec. Beats the Castrol GPX 20W50 I was using, drains out clean after a few changes. Motor also runs a lot quieter when idling(you can't hear it, even with 300,000km on the clock).

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
i ran magnatec 10w40 in my ls1 and some time before my 5000km/12 month oil changeover it was ticking when hot.

Retail magnatecs a crap oil its a thin mineral grade that shears into nothingness even before 5k clicks. Also rumured to glaze bores in ls1's. In general, avoid it.

B-Man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 5.7 Calais S2
Retail magnatecs a crap oil its a thin mineral grade that shears into nothingness even before 5k clicks. Also rumured to glaze bores in ls1's. In general, avoid it.

i got a couple of containers from a dealer as i heard that was better. but happy with the 5w-30 castrol edge atm

Last edited:

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E

I think Castrol are still banned in the USA from using the words magnatec or any reference to magnetic oil as the oil is not magnetic, nor would you want magnetic oil.
You actually want viscus oil that will flow, not stick or drag.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
but what is the correct grade?
im not saying the grade is not important
imo the quality of oils and regular change intervals is more important than grade
obviously not something stupid like 25w-50 when its -25 degrees but a 5w-30 or 10w-40 would be more acceptable than not changing when you need to or using poor oil

What??
A 25W-50 oil is recommended for the VT Ecotec.

Whats the correct grade oil?? The one that the manufacturer suggests!!
I would suggest going by what the maker of the engine has specified, they have run up more kilometers in said car that what you will in yours.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
I think Castrol are still banned in the USA from using the words magnatec or any reference to magnetic oil as the oil is not magnetic, nor would you want magnetic oil.
You actually want viscus oil that will flow, not stick or drag.

Yeah that's all related to the tiny dash of ester that's added into the magnatec...it's true that ester does cling to metal and has genuinely good properties and applications. For example the excellent Castrol 10w-60 TWS Professional (until very recently the only oil approved for BMW M cars since they need really thick long life oil) is primarily group IV PAO with around about 20% group V Ester.

The ester in magnatec must be like 2% which makes it next to useless when added to a cheap mineral base oil. But they do it purely so they can make marketing claims about it.....which don't seem to work as well in the US of A it seems.

TI3VOM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore
Penrite 20W60 in the ecotec. Beats the Castrol GPX 20W50 I was using, drains out clean after a few changes. Motor also runs a lot quieter when idling(you can't hear it, even with 300,000km on the clock).

A thicker oil will make an older engine run quieter, so yes you running a 20W-60 oil vs a 20W-50 will be more quiet?
You do know the difference between oils don't you?

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
Mate valvalione, 20-50, cant go wrong, stuff all these other stuff, where you going to get it when ya stuck in the bush, buy valvo eny where used it in my bikes for 30 yrs