Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Novated leasing vf ssv redline

rouseabout

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series 2 SV6 in Red Hot, waiting for my VF11 SS
I'm on lease car #4 with my SS. I bought out the last car 12 months ago and have sold it since getting the new one. This cash will go off of my mortgage so I will have extra interest savings there as well as tax savings.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Leases work for some, and not others. My advice would be to look at your own financial situation, and make sure you're aware of all the hidden costs, like the ones ToeCutter21 mentioned. From my experience talking with Maxxia, a lot of the charges are optional, and you can adjust the amounts they charge, like insurance for example.

DeadlyOne

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF-II SS-V Redline
I'm on a 3 yr novated lease with my Redline. For me it works out to about $12-15K more in my pocket after 3 years compared to a car loan or pulling from the redraw.

ndwalters

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 Redline
I'm on a 3 yr novated lease with my Redline. For me it works out to about $12-15K more in my pocket after 3 years compared to a car loan or pulling from the redraw.

Can you give us the numbers? Like what the car cost, what's included, and what it costs you per week (or fortnight)?

I get about $350 a week car allowance and from a very rough look I had a maxxia: If I got a car for $50000, do approx 30000kms a year including Fuel, servicing, tyres, insurance, rego over 5 years. It would cost me $634 per fortnight.

Am I missing something? I cant see any reason I wouldn't do it....

Flukey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline
I have a CHP for my Redline as I use it almost exclusively for work.

It costs me about $860 a month in repayments on a 4 year, 40% residual.
I have always done my cars that way so am not sure what the advantages are of Novated v's CHP.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Can you give us the numbers? Like what the car cost, what's included, and what it costs you per week (or fortnight)?

I get about $350 a week car allowance and from a very rough look I had a maxxia: If I got a car for $50000, do approx 30000kms a year including Fuel, servicing, tyres, insurance, rego over 5 years. It would cost me $634 per fortnight.

Maxxia do pre and post tax deductions to avoid FTB, make sure you work out the end costs and how much you end up taking home. You need to compare it to what it would cost if you paid for everything yourself post tax. For me, it wasn't worth the headache and I decided financially it was better and more flexible to do it myself.

I've heard heaps of people getting stung, but also heaps of people who swear by it and save a heap of cash. Ultimately, it comes down to each persons financial position.

ToeCutter21

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline MY15 + VF2 Redline MY17

It's kind of hard to provide exact numbers because things are rubbery. Maxxia will often quote based on assumed numbers, such as insurance being $2k per year. I sourced my own insurance at $550 per year so the fortnightly figures drop. Maxxia might estimate that servicing will cost $2k per year but Holden's capped price servicing might only cost you $600 per year so that will take your fortnightly cost down further. The big number that impressed me was a $50k car would actually be $45,500 + $4,500 GST. Being a leased vehicle you don't pay the GST so finance amount would be $45,500.

I started out nominating that I'd drive 15,000 kms per year and was paying around $600 per fortnight, but I've done over 20,000 kms in the first six months so I upped my fortnightly payment to over $800 per fortnight - mostly to cover fuel and more frequent servicing. That money goes into an account held by Maxxia which is used to pay the bills. If the money banks up and isn't being used - like if you're using less fuel or your tyres last longer - Maxxia can send any surplus back to you via your payroll. The main difference is that the money going to Maxxia is tax-free which is used to pay the bills. If you don't use the money, it goes back into your pocket via payroll - which is taxed. So I can either have $100 sitting with Maxxia and get them to buy me $100 worth of fuel - or that money can come back to me via payroll and after being taxed 37% I'll have $63 in my pocket.

So again - providing exact numbers is difficult, it just depends on how much you spend on your car. I buy car washing stuff - wax, mitts, buckets, sponges, etc - and claim it all via Maxxia. I figure doing it this way is effectively getting it 37% off as that's my marginal tax rate. Similarly any fuel purchased is meant to go in the car but if it finds it's way into boats, motorcycles, lawnmowers - that's all 37% cheaper as well.

Last edited:

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
ToeCutter is on the money (pardon the pun). Almost all the costs are assumed and can be adjusted for your own specific requirements, insurance/servicing/tyres being inflated quite a bit by the leasing company. Delve right down into a full breakdown of the costs and think about each one, whether you can source it cheaper yourself or whether you need it at all, that way you'll get the most benefit and save cash

PSISLE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E, VF2 Director, ZB RS-V Wagon
Thank you all for your input, very helpful