Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Novated leasing vf ssv redline

PRNDL

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SV6 and VH Vacationer 253
I’m currently on my first lease which I took for 5 years as I was hoping that would take me to retirement and I wouldn’t have to frig around with doing another. Of course with Covid it seems like I will have to work another couple of years.

I have an ‘in general’ question. Is there a rule of thumb where you are better off to lease a more expensive car (say 50k+) or a lesser cost car ?

lordsnipe

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV
An expensive car in my opinion is the worst car to lease, given 20% of the price of the car needs to be contributed per year in after tax funds. The more expensive the car, the higher this after tax contribution is, and less is salary sacrificed.

A cheaper car which might even cost more to run will require less after tax contribution and more of funds can be salary sacrificed.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
I have an ‘in general’ question. Is there a rule of thumb where you are better off to lease a more expensive car (say 50k+) or a lesser cost car ?
I think the market has changed in the last decade or so, and some of the reasons you were better-off to leave have gone away, eg. the interest rates aren't as high so the leasing companies can't give you a better rate than your home-loan & make it worthwhile to keep money in your offset account, leasing companies don't get the big discounts they used to get (or at least that's my belief - could be wrong there), leasing companies don't still get $400/yr comprehensive insurance policies for 22yo's leasing things like Yaris GR4's or SSVR's so some people don't save $2k/yr on insurance by leasing any more, people who used to do really high yearly km's in their car don't get as big a reduction in FBT as they used to.

I don't think there is a rule-of-thumb to do with cost of the car --> if you have the money to buy, you're generally better off buying ... one could argue that if you don't have the money, don't go into debt for a toy you don't really need (eg. a $10k usedee will be just about as reliable & just about as safe as a $25k new car).

There are instances where you might be better leasing, but it's more to do with personal circumstance. If the car's purely for work, for example, you can reduce tax. There are also people for whom paying more money overall, but knowing exactly how much they will pay every single month to cover all expenses, is worthwhile to them.