Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Anthony121

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Redline MY17 & VF Director
As others have said, the battery in the boot (LHS) is to aid forward-rear weight distribution and right-left given there's always a driver on the right hand side. The central-mounted saddle fuel tank and placement of the bulk of the engine-trans behind the front axle are other measures. Basically Zeta (VE-VF) was designed to be a great handling RWD car from the very beginning. Yet people still say Commodores don't go around corners...

How does that work with the LHD version of the ZETA car? Why didn't the Camaro have the battery in the boot. The fuel tank under the rear seat was due to the regulations for export to the USA.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Why didn't the Camaro have the battery in the boot.
Possibly in a bid to cut costs?
Zeta Camaro was probably the most sophisticated Camaro there’s ever been ... way too expensive a platform to go under a Camaro.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
How does that work with the LHD version of the ZETA car? Why didn't the Camaro have the battery in the boot. The fuel tank under the rear seat was due to the regulations for export to the USA.

It did, the battery location for the zeta based camaro is in the wheel well of the boot from memory.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
Novice Question - Why the Battery Location in VF SS Commodore

The joke I heard was that when they designed the VE, they forgot the battery, then realised it wouldn’t fit in the engine bay... so back to the drawing board to find somewhere it will fit; ah, the boot :p

Seriously, it’s a better location in the boot and away from the heat of the engine bay ;)

Holden17

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY16 SV6 ute/MY17 LMF SS wagon
The battery was shifted to the trunk in the 2018 Camaro.
https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-us/experience/2018/12/2018-camaro-battery-location
Now if it was an elephant the trunk is the front but I believe in American cars it’s the opposite end :D

EDIT: article also says this was done for front/rear weight distribution...deliberately placed on opposite side to driver...so begs the question, has HSV swapped it to the other side??

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Motorsport Edition
Pity it’s a bastard to change out (removal of trim).

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Batteries last longer in the boot due to less heat, also better weight distribution I have put the battery in the boot for my vh for the same reason

Sir Les

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V V6 MY14
Still waiting for the OP (@Jake Wilson) to let us know if he has one battery or two...