Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NOW SOLD Buying a WH

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
So what's the benefit of OTR over MCAI ??

The stage 1 power modification recommendations seem to cost a fair amount for very little gain? (20kw or so, or am i reading things wrong?)
I've already spent a bit of $ on my current car, so performance expenditure on this one will have to be minimal..

ucwepn

America just kicked in yo
Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
are you asking about the mafless tune or the CAI itself?

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
CAI...
not sure about doing the mafless tune... I will be limited to bare minimum..

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
well a smoothed pipe and MCAI mod can give a worthwhile gain but not as much as a mafless tune and OTR. Heres mine on the dyno getting mafless tune, it made 230kw atw, about as expected with stock everything with VCM OTR and a full exhaust system. next for me will be ls6 manifold and a small cam. if yours is a late series 2 it may already have the ls6 manifold.

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
Pretty sure it's a late series 1
Should be getting it this week..

Did you check what yours made beforehand?

ucwepn

Reaction score
Website
www.darkcold.com
Members Ride
WH statesman 5.7
it had a bad tune when I bought it plus all the bolt ons minus VCM alloy otr, drives much nicer now.

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
The standard rating of 220kw.. Is that atw? Or engine?

Sledge

Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 WH Statesman
Well took possession of the car this afternoon, and did the Radio reset trick, and the error is gone for the stacker now...
So now i'm burning some disks, just in case something does go wrong, i don't want legit disks stuck in there :)

The leather seats could do with a bit of sprucing up... What would be a good product to use to freshen them up a bit??

The car isn't fitted with the individual seating position buttons.. how hard would it be to get some for it? Too hard? or fairly simple?

iChris

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK Statesman LS1, VX Commodore
memory seats/mirrors are a Caprice feature. I think it's tied into the BCM so there is more to it than simply swapping the seats.

you can get leather cleaning sets from most auto shops. I've used the Meguiars kit in the past.

ConstantVelocity

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII SS M6
MCAI works well for a daily and is low maint. OTRs give their main benifit at the drags or on the dyno because they recover from heatsoak faster after sitting still (or in traffic, but you can't really flog a v8 in traffic these days without getting in trouble). When you're cruising around the difference is less. Most of the OTRs have a small filter (much smaller than the stock one) and it gets dirty quick hanging out in the breeze, so they need frequent cleaning to perform best. I had a VCM alloy one for a bit and went back to the modded stock airbox, can't notice the difference in normal driving.

The tune is definately worth it though.