Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Now the brake lights have stopped working..

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Must be one of those days. The brake lights are now not working. Had the car at the dealers for an AC recharge today and they advised me that none of the rear brake lights are in fact working.

They reckoned it was the brake light switch, so I bought a switch. I just put the new switch in, and still no brake lights.

Checked the 10A fuse on that circuit and it is not blown.

I removed the 10A fuse and put a multimeter across the fuse terminals. I have 12 volts across the fuse terminals constantly. This does not seem right. Pushing the brake light switch on and off does not change this.

Park lights work fine.

I don't know what else to try next. I can't drive it like this. Getting a bit frustrated with the car at the moment!!

Last edited:

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
Have you checked the globes? I know it's highly unlikely that three globes have blown but maybe one or two were blown earlier and you haven't noticed.

Roota355

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR UTE 5.0
Silly question but have you checked the globes and also for power at the globes with the pedal pressed.
Is there power at both terminals on the brake switch with the pedal pressed?

Nut Kracker

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS 304ci (195i)
You will have constant power to the brake light circuit whether the ignition is on or off.
They are designed to come on anytime the pedal is pressed.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
Okay so...

1. Checked all of the rear globes. None have blown. All have the filaments intact and look good.

2. With the pedal pressed, there is no power at the rear bulbs.

Basically I'm at a real loss to understand why no power is going to any of the rear brake bulb filaments.

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
Okay so...

1. Checked all of the rear globes. None have blown. All have the filaments intact and look good.

2. With the pedal pressed, there is no power at the rear bulbs.

Basically I'm at a real loss to understand why no power is going to any of the rear brake bulb filaments.

checked the brake light fuse? if thats fine, its only the brake switch and wiring left.

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
The brake light fuse is fine, it never blew.
The switch, as I think I mentioned above, is brand new and there is also the old switch which I opened, and its fine inside too.

That leaves wiring, and I assume the wires run the length of the car... So I think I have to strip out the interior to find and check the wires, or I just give in and call an auto electrician at this point...

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
have you checked for power at both sides of the switch?

WHCapriceHBD

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VX
I haven't checked it that way yet, no.

I'd like to know how its wired- if its just positive from the battery, through a fuse, through the switch and it then runs down to the rear of the car to the bulbs, and there's an earth down there. I assume this is how the circuit is put together?

Also I noticed on the switch itself, there are two sets of contacts- a two wire plug goes onto one pair of contacts, but the other pair of contacts on the switch body are not used?

Sitting down thinking it over now. I won't be able to get the car on the road til next week at this point, with work etc. Unless I can find a way to determine if the wires to the rear of the car are faulty or something similar, I'm not too sure. I do appreciate the help & suggestions though. If it weren't for you guys, I'd be very frustrated with it..!

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V
The switch with the four terminals is for the cruise control, the one for the brake has two terminals and also looks different.