Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NRL Thread

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Danielzke, May 12, 2013.

1. SM1D3Y

SM1D3Y aka Drew

Members Ride:
    VX Calais L67
    Yeah I think ya spot on there, but stranger things have happened this year. I'd like to see the Broncos get up ( being a Brisbane supporter ) but cowboys earnt their spot, we fell into the 8.

Souths v Manly is the key game, both squads are coming off average performances. Winner will play GF I reckon.

2. Grennan

Grennan Slayer of Stupid Threads

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    I dont see Manly getting over on Souths.

Souths have had a rough last few weeks, I think their game with the Roosters took it out of them. I think theyll roll over on Manly but do their usual foreign object lodged in throat trick for the semi.

Roosters for me are pretty hot right now, theyll go over Panthers. But I look at them and think theyre due for a loss soon.

Broncos have been far to up and down this season, I dont know what to expect from them. Cowboys have been fairly consistent I think this will be a tough one. But for me Cowboys.

Bulldogs and Storm, again, Storm for me has been a bit up and down. Theyve really timed their run home well though. A home game for Storm, noone travels to Melbourne well (except the Warriors).

Id like to see Souths finally get up this year, but I think theyll choke yet again.

This year is really hard to peg.

Ill say Storm v Roosters Grand Final.

3. Calaber

Calaber Nil Bastardo Carborundum

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Really can't see the Storm getting there this year. They aren't the Storm of recent times, they have been too inconsistent and their for and against is pretty poor compared to other teams. As a Manly supporter, their collapse from leading the table by four points only a month ago, to come in second in the preliminary rounds, tells me that their minds are elsewhere and the talk about key players wanting out has to affect their solidarity. To put it bluntly, they have played like **** for five weeks and will crash out in the second round of the finals.

I dislike the Rabbits, but can't take away the manner in which they play. They are tough and play the game hard. Whilst the Roosters beat them last week, it's an each-way bet between them for the grand final, and I reckon they will end up playing each other. For my money, none of the other finalists have the grit or skill to match those two this year.

As for who wins - meh, I couldn't care less once my team departs.

4. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    I agree, I think the last few seasons has finally started to take its toll. Theyve been a powerhouse for what, 7 years now? Consistently fighting for top spot.

I think State of Origin had a big part to play in it though, this year more so. The injury to Cronk and minor niggles to Slater and Smith, they just havent had a break.

Theyve come good though, apart from a pretty iffy loss against the Knights and the Roosters theyve been really solid.

If Smith pulls up the Bulldogs game, I give Storm a chance. But I think they might run out of legs.

As for Manly, #### me, Id want out to if I had to listen to Toovey.

5. SM1D3Y

SM1D3Y aka Drew

Members Ride:
    VX Calais L67
    Reynolds back for Souths is a big plus, not only to steer them around but for his kicking game. Teo due back next week will give some much needed punch on the edge, but Suttons fitness is a problem. He was struggling at 6, he's going to be a target at 12 !!

Biggest question mark over Melbourne is Smith. I still can't figure out why he left the field last week against the Broncs, and he's in some doubt for this week. Bellyache mind games ?

6. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    I think this could be the year the Bunnies take out the title. Best chance they'll ever have.

7. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Boy, didn't I get that one right. Just the sort of game I imagined it might be.

One down, three to go.....

8. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Well, Storm got absolutely demolished.

Dont even know how to explain that one. Just did not show up to play untill the second half.

I hope that video ref gets the ####ing sack though. Was he on a quota to see how many people he could put on report for a game?

That try was an absolutely ridiculous try to disallow, at what point does Benefit of the Doubt come into play? On field ref said try, take 2 looks at it, yup good enough. Not slow it down frame by frame you monkey.

Then to put what, 4 players on report? All of which were essentially milking penalties.

PS. Has anyone noticed the banter between Gus and Rabbits becoming a lot more heated?

9. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Have to agree with you Gren. Like Gus Gould, I hate the video ref. Good tries that would have passed inspection pre-replay era getting overturned on tiniest technicalities, and endless stop/starts ruining the game. No wonder fans are pissed off and turning to other winter sports. And that disallowed try was a gem and should have been granted. I think it knocked the stuffing out of the Storm, just when they looked like getting into gear. The second half would have been far better if it had been allowed. As it was, the game went downhill from there and was just another example of wrestlemania and endless stops.

As for my tipping - hmm, two out of four. Lucky I don't gamble.....

OK, next round. A bit harder.

Canterbury and Manly. As per Souths versus Manly. Canterbury played like champs in the first half and Manly played much better in their second half. A game of two halves? Nah, Dogs will take the flag, bugger them.

Rooters versus Cows. Could go either way, but I doubt Rooters will have two bad semi's. Rooters in a close finish.

Re Gus and Warren. Personally, I wish they would bid Warren farewell. His endless prattle during a game shits me. Gus the Goose at least knows his game, but yeah, they do seem to be getting on each other's nerves a bit. Been too long together, two cranky ol' buggers.

10. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Yeah I think Roosters have got their loss out of the way. As I said, they were due.

Manly had zero front rowers for their game. Whats happening there? Are they out injured or have they all just bailed? I think Bulldogs will do what they did to Melbourne.

On the topic of the video ref, its why Ive barely watched games this season. I just havent been bothered, its turned into a farce with how much scrutiny there is.. I went to the game here in Melbourne and the crowd was hot. Decent crowd for Melbourne at 20,000, really nice day and no AFL on. What better why to showcase our game, to take advantage of no other footy on, give them a fast paced action packed game. The video red did absolutely everything in his power on Sunday to ruin the atmosphere. After that try got disallowed, the Melbourne crowd just lost all interest. A lot of people actually walked out. I watched the game again for bits and peices when I got home and you could even tell on screen that the melb crowd was pissed.

Michael Ennis ####ing took a massive dive. After that it was on for young and old. He needs a kick up the arse he is a continual nuisance with this ****.

PS. I actually put money on Bulldogs, I tend to do that on Storm for games that I have a dodgy feeling about, either I win and im happy or I lose and im happy. At 3.50 to win I put what I had in my center console in gold coins on them to win. Not a bad little return, 300 odd bucks.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  11. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Two key forwards injured and out for the season. Replacement hooker also out for season, and second replacement injured during game and left at half time, so no hookers available. Finding one for this weekend presents Toovey with a real problem - there just isn't anyone. Another forward bound to depart the team after this season, and playing like he doesn't want to be there anymore, as well as conceding penalties at crucial times. (If Waterhouse offered odds on Watmough conceding penalties every game, it would be the safest best in league). It's been good while it lasted, but I think Manly's time in the top four is coming to an end. Time for some major rebuilding.

12. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    I wonder what happened there. Was Dez really that good of a coach that they all want to follow him? Is Toovey as big a dick in the sheds as he was on the field?

13. Calaber

Members Ride:
    CG Captiva 5 Series 2
    Both Hasler and Toovey are highly regarded within Manly, though Des probably less so now than when he was the Manly coach. Manly fans absolutely hate Canterbury, so Des going there is seen as a bit of treachery. Toovey annoyed the opposition crowds when he played because he used to argue with the refs, but his loyalty to one club cannot be denied and he is respected by the players and is a good coach. The problem with Manly is the board. It has been dysfunctional and suffered from intense in-fighting for years and it doesn't seem to be improving with time. Earlier this year, the club failed to make an offer to Glen Stewart and he went to Souths. Some of the older Manly players resented the way Stewart was treated as he is very popular within the club. Three long-term players have now indicated that they want out, with two of them, Brett Stewart and Anthony Watmough, saying that they resented Glen Stewart's treatment, and Steve Matai wanting to head home to NZ for family reasons. Matai has given sterling service every game he played and continues to do so. He should be released and will be missed. The other two are not playing well and their lack of interest is showing. Watmough is a walking penalty box and Stewart lacks the intensity and speed that he had a couple of years ago. Neither player has been particularly effective in the latter part of this season. I reckon the club should cut them loose and start rebuilding for the next few years.

14. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    God damn. Well Roosters bounced back after their tight loss last week and sunk the boots into the Cowboys.

15. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    #### what a weeekend.

I turned the Roosters Cowboys game off at half time. Massive comeback and for a third year in a row. Cowboys knocked out of the finals with a controversial video ref decision.

Watched the game again Saturday and couldnt believe it. Then Manly v Bulldogs.

Two teams that I despise. Amazing game.

All the games this final series have been edge of your seat blockbusters, apart from the Storm. Way to let everyone down guys -.-

I think next weekend will be the Grand Final. Roosters v Rabbitohs.

If the Rabbitohs dont choke theyve got this. Roosters have had 2 really tough tight wins I dont think theyve got a third.

16. Danielzke

Danielzke Member

Members Ride:
    Commy
    Comeon Bunnies don't let me down again!

17. Grennan

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 Sportswagon
    Why is noone posting. You all disappoint.

Great game last night. I was really happy with the refereeing. Wasnt many dodgy calls and I feel they were very good at not believing the Bulldogs Acting Academy lessons. Video ref stayed out of it for the most part but had me worried on a few occasions.

Well deserved win by the Bunnies, I was really happy to see Inglis get over. Those Burgess brothers. I am so sad to see them go (or atleast Sammy, have the others bailed to?) What a game, especially from George.

Bulldogs, theyre ####ing dirty, end of story. I was praying for someone to just line one of them up. Dont think Sam could have with his face but geez they were asking for it.

18. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    What can I say, glad to see the dogs lose.

Happy for the Bunnies, and with no Isaac Luke onfield they played clean as well.

Typical Hayne reffing should have tossed at least 1 dog in the bin.

Would have preferred a Roosters-South GF but in all honesty that's just another team jam packed full of grubs.

19. NU13

NU13 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    2007 E1 HSV GTS Manual
    Fantastic victory by the Kiwis on the weekend i'd just like to say :D

20. mpower

mpower Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
    A very understrength Kangaroos squad gave them an easy win - DCE as good as he is at club level still lacks a bit in rep.

No Slater, Thurston and GI out at half time it wasn't a huge surprise to see the Aussies go down, hope they do better next WE.