Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NSW bans misleading petrol prices

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
NSW bans misleading petrol prices

Hopefully other states follow suit.

NSW has banned service stations from misleading drivers by giving priority to displays of shopper docket discount prices.

From today, petrol stations must display the full cost of petrol on their price boards, and not the price after discounts from shopper dockets and other deals.

Any discounts must be displayed separately.

"Motorists wanted truth in fuel pricing," the minister for fair trading, Anthony Roberts, said.

"The days of service stations enticing customers by advertising the discounted price for regular unleaded petrol that only holders of shopper docket vouchers were entitled to are over."

Petrol retailers are also required to display the prices per litre of their top two selling fuels by volume, as well as diesel and LPG.

Previously, only regular unleaded prices had to be displayed.

"Motorists will no longer be confused about the real cost of fuel as they approach a service station," Mr Roberts said.

NRMA president Wendy Machin said the changes were a win for motorists.

"Too many motorists were caught out by price boards that didn't display prices for popular fuels or included discounts from shopper dockets," she said.

The ban on misleading roadside price promotions follows a review by Fair Trading, which found petrol retailers were confusing customers by advertising special offers.

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Noticed already some caltex and shell doing this

Heard bout this a few weeks back

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
i really don't want to be the person who says this, however :D

everytime I have been to a servo if you read under what the price is (or above) it says "discount ULP", "ULP" or "Premium" or whatever else they have up on the sign.
unless in NSW its completely different am I missing the concept of basic reading and comprehension?

to be honest i'm with Ari.
either I need fuel or I don't. And when your doing 1000kms a week you really take minimal notice of prices.

Tim Smtih

Sexy Man
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Members Ride
just buy a v8 lol
Next thing they need to scrap is the shop a docket price fixing bs.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
next thing is to fix public transport so no one needs a car anymore and uses them as a luxury rather than a "necessity"

says the man who has to drive so far to work
*sarcasm*

jamesmp

The Photo Journalist
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Members Ride
MY12 VE Commodore SS
next thing is to fix public transport so no one needs a car anymore and uses them as a luxury rather than a "necessity"

There's is a very reasonable rail service for most areas of Sydney Metro. More people should take advantage of it.

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
I give my shopper dockets to my work mates.
7/11 down the road is selling fuel at the -4 cents price so I don`t need dockets.
Sometimes it is lower than that.