Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NSW Plates

JACKHCURRIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
Hey guys,

I’m after a new set of white/black plates for my car. I’m referring to the basic white background with black lettering.

What does our good friend the RMS charge for these, considering they’re pretty standard? I was told like $40-90, but these same plates are listed on myplates for $180 or something criminal.

Any help?

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
If you want the black on white plates (or other stock colours on white) on a replacement basis (same rego numbers /letters) then you have to pay $180.

(Its the direct replacement with new standard original yellow plates that cost $45).

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Yep sounds about right

Very similar to dropping soap

JACKHCURRIE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV UTE
If you want the black on white plates (or other stock colours on white) on a replacement basis (same rego numbers /letters) then you have to pay $180.

What if I’m just walking into a registry and asking for any number/letter combination they have and swapping straight over? Or is $180 what I’m paying regardless.

mike_nofx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Sportswagon
Interested to know the answer to this also.

The last time I bought these plates was a while back and it was $100 from memory.

It really is a scam since 90% of new cars in NSW the owners (or dealerships) opt to fit the white/black plates. The yellow is just too bright and ugly, so they know people will fork out the extra $50 or so to ’upgrade’

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I just checked for like for like

$105 for replacement, white background black text in which i have

around 5 years ago, i know a long time, $50 to replace as i had to do it

Still, $105 is alot to replace, but to change a basic style is $180 is a rort

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Probably because 'myplates' is now a semi-private, semi-govt organisation that has realised that it is a good money spinner. A lot of NSW plates that you can get at exorbitant prices would have been illegal years ago.
When I swapped QLD plates on a new car for standard issue NSW plates I think it cost $40, along with other 'associated' charges.
I recently visited the 'myplates' site to get a quote for reissue of old faded plates, but they wanted too much personal info from me, so I gave up.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
Interested to know the answer to this also.

The last time I bought these plates was a while back and it was $100 from memory.

It really is a scam since 90% of new cars in NSW the owners (or dealerships) opt to fit the white/black plates. The yellow is just too bright and ugly, so they know people will fork out the extra $50 or so to ’upgrade’

When I got custom plates for the Volvo (replica of the 1981 plates) I opted for yellow as they were period correct.

The Commodore has the same AUS14E plate it came with as ex-Olympic vehicle. This plate is no longer made and irreplaceable (Sydney 2000 plate)

Mazda has Dealer plate. A lot of dealers in my area did these in 2015-2016. I’ll keep it on as it was a service department courtesy vehicle for first 6 months of its life. Part of its history.