Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Speed Cameras

Vxr2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss ute , cv8 monaro
Hi we have cameras called truvelo , they are forward facing take a photo of your face and your plate , they don't do other side of the road not aware of any thing that does , hope that may help even if a different country , you guys seem to get a harder time of speeding than hear , loads of cameras in the uk , quite a lot of traffic police cars , and we even get mobile vans with cameras

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Regarding the direction in which the cameras face, I can cite an example where they have been "turned around" to face oncoming traffic where they used to take pics after the car had passed. On the F3 at the top of Somersby Hill just south of Ourimbah, a speed camera has been in place for years. It now faces oncoming traffic. Don't know how the flash works without affecting drivers. I've never seen them flash because everybody knows about the camera and passes at or below the 110 km/h speed limit.

Vxr2010 - regarding your post above -

A few years ago I travelled in the UK and on a road near Leeds, I could not believe the camera set up. The GPS in the hire car we had was going berserk with camera warnings and they appeared on both sides of the road continuously for a few kilometres. In all there must have been nearly a dozen cameras, spaced at only a few hundred metres apart. That road must have had an interesting accident history and I've never seen anything remotely like it in Australia. It's true that politicians treat speeding motorists like anti-social vermin out here and use them to balance state budgets, but the UK must have an interesting approach for a set-up like the example near Leeds.

PIR4TE

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Pearl
^^ Ourimbah takes several dozen shots using infra red lighting (no flash) as the vehicle approaches, passes, and exits the location.
It does this across both lanes and is able to provide excellent quality photographs of from and rear number plate, face of driver and from passenger, and spectacular profile shots of your car at speed.
Also there is no defence or remedy in court.
Bastrds!

SpaceYam

somewhat awesome
Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 Ford Focus ST
If you look in your rear view mirror when passing the Ourimbah one you'll also notice that there is at least one camera facing towards you when you have passed it :p

That particular camera was the subject of a large number of false-positives in 2008-2009, I believe, including catching me for speeding when I actually wasn't (Apparently I was doing 126km/h through a speed camera that I have been driving past for 8 years at that point) - however unlike other people in the news article I read, I somehow was not included in the list of people being reimbursed for the fines -_-. Let's hear it for Rediflex and the RMS, and their 'infallible' cameras :p

I have a feeling they changed it to make sure it's absolutely certain not to happen again!

There is also one in Ourimbah itself along the Pacific Highway near the school where they turned the northbound camera around to face the rears of vehicles after they have passed, and of course moved the strips to compensate. Why they built it facing oncoming traffic in the first place I have no idea. I can imagine they got a lot more fines for the first few months after rotating the camera since the original sensor strips are remaining :).

Considering motorcycles in NSW (and Australia in general?) only have rear-facing number plates, speed cameras that only capture the front of a vehicle don't make sense anyway.

Vxr2010

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ss ute , cv8 monaro
The fines you get are higher than uk , the worse we get is camera vans or scamera vans or talivans , they go where they want to so detectors no good as not in fixed places , if you see it it's too late and can pick you up 1.5 miles 2.4 km away , you can have a max of 11 points , but if you get caught doing 45 mph 72 kmph in a 30 mph 48 kmph you can get 6 in one hit , a lot of roads you can make some progress but a lot of motorways you run the gauntlet , in a 30 , 36 mph can be ticket time , the strange thing very little government money made , it's just the points

essessvee

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SSV
just like the point to point they have a +3kmh leeway.. it really depends on the speed camera used but they have ones that can pick up one lane from both directions and two that pick up to three lanes in one direction (photo from either front or behind depending on the setup).

you probably wont see the flash during the day but at night they light up like a red christmas tree