Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[NSW] Speed Cameras

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
On the way home from work today I noticed a new fixed speed camera on an 80kph road. It is a 2 way road divided by a medium strip with short bushes. The camera is facing the on coming traffic which I find rather weird, and there is no camera on the other side of the road (yet).

So, what I want to know is:
1. Would it pick up both lanes or just the on coming lane?
2. Dont camera normally flash the rear of the vehicle?
3. Wouldnt it be distracting to on coming traffic if the camera flashed them in the face?
4. What is the minimum exceeded speed for a camera to flash? I have heard 1kph minimum and also 10kph minimum before the camera will flash.

Here is a little diagram lol

-------------------------

-->

Medium

<--

(Camera-->)

Rosco994

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy V6 S2 Ute
It wouldn't be one of those cameras that check rego aswell by any chance? and if it was an unregistered vehicle it would take a picture of the driver maybe? Just a thought

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
It wouldn't be one of those cameras that check rego aswell by any chance? and if it was an unregistered vehicle it would take a picture of the driver maybe? Just a thought

Do they have fixed cameras for that aswell do they? Thought they were only mobile but that could be possible. Pretty sure I seen the sign for speed camera ahead though, will check that on Monday.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Well it definitely wont be 10kph otherwise there would be no fines for under 10kph over.

Good point lol I dont know the technicals, never been done and dont plan on it either lol 3kph sounds legit but.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
All mobile cameras in WA face oncoming traffic. It's only the new fixed location cameras that take the shot from the rear over here....primarily to catch the bikes.

c2105026

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VTII Commodore Olympic, 2012 Ford Focus ST
On the way home from work today I noticed a new fixed speed camera on an 80kph road. It is a 2 way road divided by a medium strip with short bushes. The camera is facing the on coming traffic which I find rather weird, and there is no camera on the other side of the road (yet).

So, what I want to know is:
1. Would it pick up both lanes or just the on coming lane?
2. Dont camera normally flash the rear of the vehicle?
3. Wouldnt it be distracting to on coming traffic if the camera flashed them in the face?
4. What is the minimum exceeded speed for a camera to flash? I have heard 1kph minimum and also 10kph minimum before the camera will flash.

Here is a little diagram lol

-->

Medium

<--

(Camera-->)

Ok, being ex-RTA/RMS road safety I may be able to field this one.....
1. The speed camera points at an actual location (may be more than one though...). There should be some grooves and markings on the roadway at the spot where your speed is checked. The older ones used to just pick up going away from you (usually).
2. The flash is really really bright. How was ambient lighting? I have seen them go off as a pedestrian, like a second sun. They are (old ones at least) are really bright when they go off. So if you didn't notice a flash, probably didn't catch you.
3. Good point re: flashing in face. Particularly at night.
4. As of 2005-2006 the tolerance was 10% plus 3kmh. Not sure what it is now. Probably similar.

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
All mobile cameras in WA face oncoming traffic. It's only the new fixed location cameras that take the shot from the rear over here....primarily to catch the bikes.

Yea that is what I mean. I cant remember seeing a camera facing on coming traffic. But then it doesn't make sense because the camera wont be able to see the number plates of the opposite lanes traffic.

Also, do all fixed speed camera flash? Or is there another method to reading number plates at night?

ProbablyRaging

Drop Bass, Not Bombs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vroom Vroom Car
Ok, being ex-RTA/RMS road safety I may be able to field this one.....
1. The speed camera points at an actual location (may be more than one though...). There should be some grooves and markings on the roadway at the spot where your speed is checked. The older ones used to just pick up going away from you (usually).
2. The flash is really really bright. How was ambient lighting? I have seen them go off as a pedestrian, like a second sun. They are (old ones at least) are really bright when they go off. So if you didn't notice a flash, probably didn't catch you.
3. Good point re: flashing in face. Particularly at night.
4. As of 2005-2006 the tolerance was 10% plus 3kmh. Not sure what it is now. Probably similar.

Basing this off the fact that it shouldn't flash you in the face, the camera wouldnt be able to catch the opposite lanes number plates due to the medium strips bushes spread for at least 100m each direction from the camera itself. But that is from seated height, maybe the camera can see over them but still seems unlikely.

Not very many street lights in the area exept for the one above the camera itself. Lights are places maybe every 20-50m along the road.

I havent seen a camera go off myself but considering a camera can get you from a fair ways away the flash would have to be pretty dang bright.

After driving this road almost every day for 6 months and seeing the amount of speeding cars along there, they are going to be in for a shocker when they get done by the new camera, eh eh eh!