Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT speed limit web site

calais_304

Reaction score
Members Ride
98' VT Calais s1 - 195i
i can bet a few of those road fatalities are from the aboriginals lying on the road at night and people not seeing them till the last second, true stuff, went from darwin to adelaide and i remember a cop telling my parents that if we saw any even if we hit one, dont stop! keep on driving to the next town and report it to the cops there, apparently they do it to get ppl to stop and then rob em!
also i think it would be silly to lower the speed on that hwy, isn't fatigue the biggest killer anyway not speed? those who have done it, don't you think travellin at 100 on that hwy would be a bit boring and tiring? at least cruisin at 140 you don't wanna slack off.;)

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
i wonder what the fuel economy of cars are like at 200kmh vs 100kmh

of course you use more fuel going faster ... but you get a damn sight further

At 170 I get around 17l per 100k. With the distances involved I will usually average 150 as this prevents me from having to grab fuel from one of the rip off roadhouses.
As for the deaths on the road most of these are caused from high speed on the dirt roads. Some people just dont have any sense when it comes to offroad driving. A look at the yards of the rental companies will see at least one rolled over toyota a week, sometimes many more.
As for the unroadworthy cars filled to the brim with an intoxicated driver this is becoming more common place.
As for people lying on the road. There was one last week that was killed doing exactly that.
I dont think lowering the speed limit to 100/110 will make any difference, except for make the roadhouses more money. Around 150 would be more sensible as holding a speed above this really leaves you open to dramas with livestock.

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
ive heard the wildlife (and aparently locals lying on the road) are the speedy drivers biggest enemy.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
ive heard the wildlife (and aparently locals lying on the road) are the speedy drivers biggest enemy.

Luckily we have road trains that bring the balance back to even.
Cattle arent as much of a problem now as 99% of the road is fenced. It is mainly roos & eagles that cause the problem. Lets not forget the migrating elderly during holiday breaks.

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
i wonder what the fuel economy of cars are like at 200kmh vs 100kmh

of course you use more fuel going faster ... but you get a damn sight further

worked out to better at 170-180 when we travelled up to darwin in a V6 WH stato, did between 900-1000 k's driving a day on a about 85-90 litres of fuel so its not too bad

vlv8vic

<---Brad Quaid = internet stalker
Reaction score
Members Ride
M5
Lets not forget the migrating elderly during holiday breaks.

id hate to even get started on that one, i drive 100km to work each day then the same home at the end on 100km of winding, blind cornered coastal road with not one overtaking lane. not bad until other states have school holidays and the elderly tow their vans along that bloody road at 70kmh.
not far from the SA border so they are the biggest offenders.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
worked out to better at 170-180 when we travelled up to darwin in a V6 WH stato, did between 900-1000 k's driving a day on a about 85-90 litres of fuel so its not too bad

I can only get 400ks at 180 in my VY . Thats with a 55litre tank on my own with nothing in the back but fishing gear.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
you got an extra two pots to fill with juice mate ;)

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
statesmans also have higher diff ratio so better fuel economy at cruising speeds

Keepleft

Mot Adv-NSW
Reaction score
12VoltKing - I'd respectfully like you to seriously reconsider allowing the link that was provided by the oringal poster, the issue is a life and death one, and one that affects this user group daily. An exception if you will.

The website from what I can tell is not another forum, but is so folk can present their views on the matter.

To date, NT government are under firm pressure to oppose the limit, but are also under heavy Commonwealth pressure to implement a rural default, among many other 'options'.

NT residents *MUST NOW* continue to make the effort to write a letter, or email their MP's and media of your opposition to an absolute speed limit, so intended to apply on roads where (//) is posted, and as a rural default generally.

Not on, not needed, say NO.

VT 1538 wrote: Around 150 would be more sensible as holding a speed above this really leaves you open to dramas with livestock.
Imposing a speed limit is NOT the answer, you'll only parrot train people to drive at the numerical speed limit, in your case one that is 'high'.

The speed derestriction, is the safest form of speed managment applicable to a length of road basis, since it puts the onus for safe-speed directly onto the driver. A speed limit, even a high one only results in the bunching-up effect, where trains of vehicles tailgate each other. This is 'marriage' and marriage is deadly. "Safe speed" by nature VARIES, it is NOT a constant, despite what The Peoples Republic of Victoria tells you:)

IT is better to DIVORCE traffic, keep it seperated, and here, ONLY speed derestriction can do this.

NT could adopt a rural default, but MUST NOT apply that default on roads where the (//) is used.

Last edited: