Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NT speed limit web site

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
Ok, yeah sure. Must be brain washed.
190kmh is a perfectly safe speed to travel at. Its not like your putting anyones life in danger or anything.
And a nearly 20 year holden is a very safe car to be doing it in.
:clap:

Marko_SJ

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 utility
190kmh is a perfectly safe speed to travel at. Its not like your putting anyones life in danger or anything.

IF its like last time I drove down, you are pretty much on your own. That was just before Chrissy too when everyone was on the road. Anything above 130 is illegal at the moment, and IMO very safe. 150-160 is very comfortable in most modern cars.

Is 150 in a straight line, with no cars and pretty good vision of any animals around safe in your SSV?

Probably safer than me doing 110 (20 kays less than the limit, to boot) down the highway with my sierra + trailer, or riding a motorbike through town :banstick:.

DavoVP

Reaction score

By your logic 110 in most other states is unsafe ...... Oh wait it must be safe because the media told you it is legal, Guess what sunshine open speed limits are legal in the NT meaning you choose your speed depending on conditions.

Tell me are you one of these smug fags that sits 10k's under and has a rage fit when you get over taken ?

We wont bring the German autobahn into this....... Because you know anything above 100 in a 20 yr old car is so unsafe its going to travel back in time and slap baby Jesus's mum across the face with its great big dong !

Why even buy a SSV ........ Trade it in for a Camry already...

Yergin

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 MY08 WM Caprice 6.0L V8
My 2 cents:

Doing 190kph and taking a hero shot on your iPhone is fuggen stupid. (which is illegal mate, even though it wasn't being used for telephony purposes as you put it!!)

Doing 190kph and paying full attention, if the conditions permit go for it!.

Shorty33

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Omega sedan 3.0 2010
Opinions on what is a "safe speed" vary quite a bit, as this thread illustrates.

I've lived in the Top End for over 30 years, and have driven the entire length of the Stuart Highway quite a few times.
Since I retired five years ago, I usually make two trips south per year.

In December 2013, I left Darwin on the first day of school holidays. I was expecting plenty of traffic, but it was very light.
I set my cruise control at 110 kph. That is for reasons of economy - I have found that at 130, I use a lot more fuel than at 110 kph.
As best I recall, I only got overtaken less than a handful of times in the 2,500 km to Port Augusta. I only overtook two or three trucks and a couple of buses.
Not much coming the other way, either. As I say - traffic was surprisingly light.

A few observations for those who haven't been here -
from Larrimah to Katherine, there are numerous Agile Wallabies. They are small, even for a wallaby, but their fur is great camouflage. You don't see them in the daytime; they are a bit active at night; but they are at their busiest at dawn and dusk. But they are suicidal: they stand by the roadside, and at the last possible moment, they leap in front of you, rather than the more obvious choice of leaping away. I try to avoid that 180 km stretch at those times. On that trip, my son counted 198 deceased wallabies on the road or the verge, in 180 km.

The Stuart Highway doesn't have many bends, nor many hills. It is at sea level at both ends, rising to 550m above sea level at Alice Springs (the highest point is a little further north).
So, it's not challenging or exciting driving. Wandering livestock is, in my opinion, the greatest danger - either that, or fatigue.

So the 130 km limit doesn't much affect me; nor does the 200 km of no-limit. And I can't imagine myself changing my habits on my next trip.

DavoVP

Reaction score
Opinions on what is a "safe speed" vary quite a bit, as this thread illustrates.

I've lived in the Top End for over 30 years, and have driven the entire length of the Stuart Highway quite a few times.
Since I retired five years ago, I usually make two trips south per year.

In December 2013, I left Darwin on the first day of school holidays. I was expecting plenty of traffic, but it was very light.
I set my cruise control at 110 kph. That is for reasons of economy - I have found that at 130, I use a lot more fuel than at 110 kph.
As best I recall, I only got overtaken less than a handful of times in the 2,500 km to Port Augusta. I only overtook two or three trucks and a couple of buses.
Not much coming the other way, either. As I say - traffic was surprisingly light.

A few observations for those who haven't been here -
from Larrimah to Katherine, there are numerous Agile Wallabies. They are small, even for a wallaby, but their fur is great camouflage. You don't see them in the daytime; they are a bit active at night; but they are at their busiest at dawn and dusk. But they are suicidal: they stand by the roadside, and at the last possible moment, they leap in front of you, rather than the more obvious choice of leaping away. I try to avoid that 180 km stretch at those times. On that trip, my son counted 198 deceased wallabies on the road or the verge, in 180 km.

The Stuart Highway doesn't have many bends, nor many hills. It is at sea level at both ends, rising to 550m above sea level at Alice Springs (the highest point is a little further north).
So, it's not challenging or exciting driving. Wandering livestock is, in my opinion, the greatest danger - either that, or fatigue.

So the 130 km limit doesn't much affect me; nor does the 200 km of no-limit. And I can't imagine myself changing my habits on my next trip.

Finally , Some one who can grasp the concept :)

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback
back in the daze we drove by either the temp gauge or fuel gauge .

The only thing wrong with trial is that it's over a 200 kay stretch and people will see it as a challenge .

They should've introduced it over the whole territory, then the high speed novelty will wear off, specially after you've emptied a tank in an hour.

But I'm all for it .

As for fools doing a stupid speed in an inappropriate , heaps of top heavy 4x4 rolling on bends
and there's a heap on the autobahn from the budget level rent'a'car rattling away at 160kph or the rep in his diesel doing 180 for the 12th hour straight.

MOTIV8

Cybernaut
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mountain Bike

Keep drinking the KOOL AID provided by the cotton wool providers, nappy dispensing peoples republic of NSW and take some deep breaths, watch the NSW roads authority hypnosis clips on the TV with unblinking believing eyes and above all else repel all disbelievers, blasphemers, heretics and infidels.

I have driven this nearly 20 year holden from Darwin to Adelaide, from Alice Springs to Melbourne, from Melbourne to outback Qld and it hasn't missed a beat let alone put anyone's life in danger.
Lighten up dude!