Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Nulon 5W 30 stock up ( VZ onward )

Discussion in 'VZ Holden Commodore (2004 - 2006)' started by shueardm, Apr 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM.

1. shueardm

shueardm Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Wagon
    Not sure where to post this, there is no obvious forum to alert members to specials.
    So Supercrap have Nulon 5W -30 oil for $29.95 Monday and Tuesday this week. That's for the 6 LTR whoohoo, picked up 2 this morning to take my tally to 20 ltrs on the shelf. That's 2 year minimum before I have to buy more as I have only just done a change.

I worked out these really good buys come around from time to time. For example a month ago Autobarn had it for same price for 5 ltrs and I got some then. I presume Nulon reps share the awesome special price around, Autobarn one month, Supercheap another, Repco another etc.If you don't get them when they are on you will pay $60+ for same thing when you really need it.

greenacc likes this.
  2. greenacc

greenacc Searching for the billion

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Agree what you said mate but you don't need to stock up too much, they will be on sale again some time in the next year before you use up all your stock.
    It seems some oils go on sale more than others, so it's a good idea to choose one of those grades and keep looking out for the sale when your getting close to your next oil change.
    Nulon, Castrol, Synpower and Penrite all have good sales quite often.

losh1971 and shueardm like this.
  3. shueardm

shueardm Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Wagon
    I was looking out for changing to Castrol Edge but never see that product on this sort of special price. Most they seem to do is 15 to 20%, not over 50% like Nulon

4. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    AFAIK it's not the manufacturers doing the heavy discount, although they probably can negotiate a bulk purchase price. It is actually the store taking a hit and hoping that you won't just grab two bottles of oil and leave. I only normally grab what I need for the next service as there was a lot of this going on six months ago. Specials seemed to have slowed lately, especially on 20w / 60. Unless I'm just not getting the emails. Is 5W thick enough for a VZ? I would have thought given the mileage on most VZ's you would need to start looking at 10w or even 15w, or you run the risk of not enough oil pressure?

Last edited: Apr 16, 2018 at 3:43 PM
  5. Happydaze

Happydaze Happydaze

Members Ride:
    VH SLE T30
    That’s a good price , the 5L 5-30 is $43.98 on special.

6. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    20W is too thick to put in a VZ unless your in Darwin. 5W30 or 5W40 is what I would be using in a VZ in TAS.
    Few weeks ago Repco had a weekend sale of 10 litre Castrol Edge titanium FST 5W30 for $69. I was planning to get Synpower but at that price grabbed the edge for the Mrs diesel SUV and it's cut out a lot of the turbo rattle!

7. losh1971

losh1971 Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VR Ute V6
    No, no I wouldn't put 20w in a VZ either. I would have thought 15w though. The Ecotec in our Astra is 5w from factory but been told need to run 15w now the K's are over 200 or it would not maintain enough oil pressure. I would have thought given most VZ's would have over 200k on them by now something like 15w would be the go, given the tolerances would be lot less tight than when they wre new?? Just to clarify I use 20w / 60 in the Buick.

8. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    Yeah Definitely put the 20w60 in the Buick, HPR30 or whatever you like.
    Haven't heard anyone say a 15w will give better oil pressure at start up. Why wouldn't you need a thicker, say 40-50 grade to maintain the hot oil pressure as well, say 15w40 etc.
    All I can say I've got over 250k on my Alloytec and use 5W40 every time. Burns no oil and when the traffic is bad I can give it some beans just 20 seconds from home after a cold start in the middle of winter and it's smooth as...

losh1971 likes this.
  9. shueardm

shueardm Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Wagon
    That's really a 30 though yeah? Penrite extra 10

10. greenacc

Members Ride:
    VE Berlina
    No, that's not what it means, and I use Synpower in my VE. Valvoline, know what I mean ;)

That Penrite sales pitch basically means if the manufacturer specifies a 30, Penrite specify 40 cos it gives better protection. Up to you if you believe their claim or not, but no, penrite oils labelled 40 are indeed 40, not 30.

shueardm likes this.
  11. shueardm

shueardm Member

Members Ride:
    VZ SV6 and VT Wagon
    I watched a video from Penrite that suggested otherwise unless I misunderstood

12. zoenryan

zoenryan New Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 , VZ Wagon V6, VE Saloon V6 LPG, VX V6
    I run penrite HPR5-40 in my VZ wagon with 240k on it . Recently put an oil pressure gauge in and routinely get zero psi (yes 0) at tick over when hot. Put in a new oil pump - only marginally better so thinking of going to Shell Helix 15-50 next time . A lot cheaper than Penrite so might change it more often too.