Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

nulon products - unsure about this one

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
hey saw this on another post but unsure about it
Foaming Air Intake Cleaner - Nulon Products Australia

anyone used it personaly because its abit odd compared to their other products
only bit im confused about is runnin the engin with no plugs or leads =S
hope someone can clear it up abit as dont think it would be to good for the engin

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Its obviously petroleum based so that it combusts and passes out of the system. Im sure Nulon wouldnt market a product that you kill your engine, but seems its something i wouldnt use myself...

better off dismantling and cleaning out in a tray with carby cleaner. Then you dont have nasties or chunks dislodging in the engine

ute boy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Commodore Ute
Its obviously petroleum based so that it combusts and passes out of the system. Im sure Nulon wouldnt market a product that you kill your engine, but seems its something i wouldnt use myself...

better off dismantling and cleaning out in a tray with carby cleaner. Then you dont have nasties or chunks dislodging in the engine

yer i have no problem with trusting nulon with their products but i do hav trust issuse with myself sprayin foam into a running engine.
dismanting and then cleanin sounds much safer probly a better clean to.

klampy

Reaction score
Members Ride
Mazda E2000 V6 convert
iv heard of an american product called seafoam, sounds like its a similar product.

YouTube - Sea foam engine cleaner in a Subaru WRX

id rather just spray carby cleaner into the throttle body (only thing is you have to keep the revs up or she stalls), seems to work just as well at removing carbon buildup. and is guaranteed non harmful.

JSTCOZ

Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 VT S-Pack II
iv heard of an american product called seafoam, sounds like its a similar product.

YouTube - Sea foam engine cleaner in a Subaru WRX

id rather just spray carby cleaner into the throttle body (only thing is you have to keep the revs up or she stalls), seems to work just as well at removing carbon buildup. and is guaranteed non harmful.

I'm tempted to give that Seafoam stuff a go, guess i may have to ebay it though or something? bit worried about pouring stuff into the engine while running, but you see so many cars on the web doing it, might have a go

GlenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Ute
I've used a similar product made (or at least branded by) Subaru. Big clouds of dirty black smoke out the exhaust on the first can, did the treatment again and there was hardly a puff of smoke.

Dr HaxZaw

Reaction score
Members Ride
R34 GT-T
yeah i just ran some of this stuff through my ecotec cause the intake was pretty bad and i wasnt going to pull the engine apart without a spare car handy... lots of smoke but it cleared up within a few minutes of running... just change the oil after you use it would be my advice
engine runs a lot better now too

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
hey saw this on another post but unsure about it
Foaming Air Intake Cleaner - Nulon Products Australia

yeah I walked into my parts shop the day after the rep stocked it and apparently it is as good as the Subaru HCHC I have used, works well.
I have two cans of the nulon stuff but have yet to use it, will report back but as above, if the system is dirty it will help dissolve unwanted build up, you can see it come out the exhaust and you will notice a difference if build up was a problem.

rustynails

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Commodore
I just used a spray can of this today on my VP wagon. It hasn't been accelerating as smoothly as it used to. I also put some fuel injector cleaner in with a tank of petrol at the same time. But then disconnected the air intake hose and sprayed the foam into the throttle body which WAS pretty brown and dirty looking. Then connected the intake, started the car and disconnected the top vacuum hose (leads to the fuel filter cannister) and put half the can in using the thin red tube while idling (takes a while). Then let it sit for 5 minutes shut off. Then started it and kept at high revs for 30 seconds then put the rest of the can through the vac port while idling (slow process to keep from stalling and to prevent from overflowing the hole). Didn't do anything via the spark plug holes at all. Was skeptical but as soon as I took it out for a run noticed that it was definitely accelerating much smoother and pulled better off the line. Will use again as for 11.98 from Supercheap it's reasonable. I was honestly surprised at the difference it made. I didn't change the oil but with that much of a solvent going into the manifold it's probably not a bad idea although to be honest, most of it prob gets burnt up in the combustion chamber. Didn't notice much smoking from the exhaust in my instance.