Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Number Plate Light

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
After getting the bodykit on my car, I dont have a number plate light on the rear bumper anymore....is this illegal?
Secondly, are there any newer models that have the light on the bumper, rather than getting a plain VN light again?
Thirdly...where is the wiring?

Heres some pics I just took in the dark of my car as well...The car looks so much better in real life! Plus its been rainin all day so it aint too clean..

Attachments

• Rear 1.JPG
    Rear 1.JPG
    52.3 KB · Views: 456
  • Rear 2.JPG
    Rear 2.JPG
    36.3 KB · Views: 312
  • Front 1.JPG
    Front 1.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 332
  • Side 1.JPG
    Side 1.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 324
  • Side 2.JPG
    Side 2.JPG
    34 KB · Views: 325

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
****ING HOT! You got the VZ Flutes :) hehehe There going on my VN when I get my respray :)

Cheers
MaT

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
just a quick question. did you spray the grey and chrome strips on each door yourself?

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
stocky said:
just a quick question. did you spray the grey and chrome strips on each door yourself?

The ones around the windows yes... the moulds along the doors no. They're coming off in the next few days along with the badges on the rear... So that'll be interesting :unsure:

andy05

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN V6 Commodore Executive....and a London bus
1991_Vn2nV said:
After getting the bodykit on my car, I dont have a number plate light on the rear bumper anymore....is this illegal?
Secondly, are there any newer models that have the light on the bumper, rather than getting a plain VN light again?
Thirdly...where is the wiring?

Heres some pics I just took in the dark of my car as well...The car looks so much better in real life! Plus its been rainin all day so it aint too clean..

Yep its illegal. Just another stupid rule. After all, if the cops have headlights, why do they need a number plate light to read the plate huh? RTA speed cameras use flash ect! I think your options are... 1) put another ugly VN bumper mounted light on 2) Get a VP garnish, number plate light is in garnish pointing down. Garnish may not match you taillights though. If you could get those VP garnish lines off it might look good (and sprayed black perhaps?) 3) make you own custom number plate light. Mount it on you bumper maybe above/below number plate.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
andy05 said:
Yep its illegal. Just another stupid rule. After all, if the cops have headlights, why do they need a number plate light to read the plate huh? RTA speed cameras use flash ect! I think your options are... 1) put another ugly VN bumper mounted light on 2) Get a VP garnish, number plate light is in garnish pointing down. Garnish may not match you taillights though. If you could get those VP garnish lines off it might look good (and sprayed black perhaps?) 3) make you own custom number plate light. Mount it on you bumper maybe above/below number plate.

Ah thanks heaps man. I guess I will go grab a light this weekend...

Where abouts is the wiring for the light?

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
I got a ****ING AWESOME IDEA!!

go to the wreckers, get some VP tail lights & VP boot garnish

Spray the boot garnish 2 pack black & do silver lines on it, Give the tail lights a light shot of 2pack black & do silver lines on the extruding parts same as the garnish. This would cause a VN calais/VP hybrid look happening, Would look AWESOME!

Cheers
MaT

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HoZy said:
I got a ****ING AWESOME IDEA!!

go to the wreckers, get some VP tail lights & VP boot garnish

Spray the boot garnish 2 pack black & do silver lines on it, Give the tail lights a light shot of 2pack black & do silver lines on the extruding parts same as the garnish. This would cause a VN calais/VP hybrid look happening, Would look AWESOME!

Cheers
MaT

Well I think the VP Garnish is a go, saves attaching light to my new rear bumper etc...Will definitely paint it black, but might miss the silver lines.. sorry Hozy..i know it meant alot to you :p

So now my questions are... Is there a difference between series 1 and 2 VP garnishes?

And whats the difference in the tail lights between VN and VP? My berlina tail lights are brand new so I dont really wanna buy another new set lol

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just had a look at some pics, and the VN Berlina tail lights like mine are the same as the VP tail lights by the looks.. So thats that solved... Tail lights are fine and can stay as is... And Series 1 and 2 garnishes look the same. So I managed to answer my own questions.

So what should I use to paint the garnsh? Gloss Black or Matt Black?