Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

(NZ)Zero tolerance on speeding drivers all year round as cops get tough on motorists

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
I'm not familiar with the laws in NZ.

Does being a non-conditional land owner allow you to break the law by putting someone's life in danger ?
No... but I suspect the comment was rooted in race politics and nothing to do with breaking road laws :p

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
The big problem they have in NZ is that there aren't that many traffic cops as compared to Australia. My experience while living in NZ is that I very seldom saw a traffic cop particularly in the country. People soon learn where the speed cameras are.

Back in the eighties after receiving a traffic ticket I wrote to the minister of transport and asked how many fatalities occurred on the open road when the only consideration was speed. That is that the vehicle was roadworthy and there no drugs or alcohol involved. To his credit he did reply and the answer was that he did not know. I accept that they might have a better idea now but it didn't stop them as they do now blaming speed as the main cause of road fatalities.

Dangerous driving will always be dangerous driving and those are the examples they use. To travel at speeds in excess of the speed limit where the conditions are good and the car is roadworthy are quite safe. It would possibly be dangerous to drive a model A Ford at anywhere near the speed limit yet the law does not take into account that cars today are a lot safer than yesteryear.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Back In the day we had the police and then a separate lot just for the roads. These days they do target the popular Roads that see a lot off traffic especially On public holidays. The Auckland to Rotorua roads and Matamata section in particular see a lot of enforcement. On the flip side, during public holidays I tend to see less cops on our local roads. One particular trip to rotorua I Spotted 3 camera and a fair few marked units on the road. No tickets in the mail....

The problem now will be some people are scared so will drive significantly slower than the speed limit which will see an increase of dangerous overtaking maneuvers. They have effectively 4 laned the main highway from Auckland to Hamilton now, a modern safe road but still we are only allowed to do 100km/h.

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Now NZ is getting into the nanny state crap just like here....too many Karens.

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
KPI's.
The things that ruin any sense that there once was, especially when Money and Bonuses are involved.

Would be interesting to see the absolute accuracy and repeatability of any instruments used for testing and proving of speeds.
Or if they also give a 3kmh leeway but dont want to tell you straight up about it.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Stuart highway in the Northern Territory that once had no speed limit now has a speed limit of 130 kph. They may well have good roads up there but then so do we.

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Yeah their revenue income (i mean road safety education) messages must mean their coffers are pretty skint.

Dont you mean their Speed Camera's,
oops, sorry,
my mistake, Safety Camera's !!!

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
Back In the day we had the police and then a separate lot just for the roads. These days they do target the popular Roads that see a lot off traffic especially On public holidays. The Auckland to Rotorua roads and Matamata section in particular see a lot of enforcement. On the flip side, during public holidays I tend to see less cops on our local roads. One particular trip to rotorua I Spotted 3 camera and a fair few marked units on the road. No tickets in the mail....

The problem now will be some people are scared so will drive significantly slower than the speed limit which will see an increase of dangerous overtaking maneuvers. They have effectively 4 laned the main highway from Auckland to Hamilton now, a modern safe road but still we are only allowed to do 100km/h.
Worse still is those who drive at as you say at significantly slower speeds that is until they suddenly feel a need to go faster when there is a passing lane.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
We had the first public protest in the previous 24 hours. A person rammed a safety camera out on a state highway and then rammed the cop car that tried to stop them. Cops gave up the pursuit and an abandoned silver Ford Ranger was found later. Cops are asking for public assistance to apprehend the driver. Can't see the public been sympathetic to the police cause on this one.