Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

o2 sensor

Fully

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6
Hey

just wondering if with the fault codes even thought i get code 12 (system all good) could my o2 sensor still be dead or not working properly? i heard that the o2 sensor only last about 100,000 km's and my car has done almost 200,000km's? i ask this as i have poor fuel economy and want it to be an easy fix. btw my fuel economy is about 350km's to 52ltrs, 85/15 metro/highway, car is stock except for cai. been serviced regularly as my brother owned it before me.

cheers

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
there is a designated fault code for your o2 sensor...
if its not shown then its not blown

check the other threads around here on fuel economy problems and solutions. ive posted enough about it i think ..

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Absolutely the O2 sensor can be working poorly and not set a code. Conversely, just because an O2 sensor code is set, doesn't necessarily mean that the O2 sensor itself is faulty. The codes are set only because the ECM doesn't receive values within what it is programmed to accept.

The best way to check an O2 sensor is to use an oscilloscope and plot the voltage against time and compare it with a known good curve. Given that option is probably not available, you can guess, and replace the O2 sensor anyway. It won't hurt anything and they aren't particularly expensive; about $80, I think, but it will be a guess.

Fully

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vz Sv6
yeah thats wat i thought,

i dont really have the money to go on a guess and i heard its a bitch to get the o2 sensor off, so i think i might just do a service and tune and then look at my injectors!!!!

cheers

B

BR377

Pull it out and have a look at it :)
Mine doesn't exist anymore, well the bit that goes inside is completely burnt or corroded away and it does nothing accept plug a hole in my manifold hehe...
I think i'll replace it soon, i get under 300km to a tank!

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
Cheap6 said:
Absolutely the O2 sensor can be working poorly and not set a code. Conversely, just because an O2 sensor code is set, doesn't necessarily mean that the O2 sensor itself is faulty. The codes are set only because the ECM doesn't receive values within what it is programmed to accept.

The best way to check an O2 sensor is to use an oscilloscope and plot the voltage against time and compare it with a known good curve. Given that option is probably not available, you can guess, and replace the O2 sensor anyway. It won't hurt anything and they aren't particularly expensive; about $80, I think, but it will be a guess.

the last time i quoted an O2 sensor was around the $120.00 mark,but of course thats retail :)

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
BR377 said:
Pull it out and have a look at it :)
Mine doesn't exist anymore, well the bit that goes inside is completely burnt or corroded away and it does nothing accept plug a hole in my manifold hehe...
I think i'll replace it soon, i get under 300km to a tank!

O2 sensor has nothing to do with your fuel economy :)
naturally depending on the amount of work you have done to your motor(worked) these may not totally comply for obvious reasons.
but for a standard motor..reasons for excessive fuel consumption
1...fuel pressure
2...leaking fuel system
3... unserviced injectors
4...faulty thermostat....YES you read right :) and also faulty coolant temperature sensor
5...faulty MAT sensor operation
6...faulty MAP sensor operation
7...and another one you won't believe...BUT IS true, faulty engine cooling fan operation

others include as standard procedure....spark plug servicability and air cleaner

B

BR377

I have been waiting forever for someone to post what you just did, Now i can check all these things :) I had no idea really what could cause over usage of fuel, after a few days the back of my car is covered in black speckles lol.
I have a new thermostat, plugs, air filter & cooling fan wiring :) so its something else.

So what does the 02 sensor do then???

samuels

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX HSV XU6
BR377 said:
I have been waiting forever for someone to post what you just did, Now i can check all these things :) I had no idea really what could cause over usage of fuel, after a few days the back of my car is covered in black speckles lol.
I have a new thermostat, plugs, air filter & cooling fan wiring :) so its something else.

So what does the 02 sensor do then???

senses oxygen in the exhaust gases......technical gaga for emission controls :)