Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 O2 Sensor

Hillerus

Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VP Exec,Gsx-R 750
I recently purchased a V8 out of a VQ Statesman for a project. I bought a new harness and I am in the process of replacing all the sensors as well. The engine had a single wire 02 sensor, so I bought one of those, however after checking the new harness, it has a plug for a two wire sensor.

After looking at some diagrams online, the black wire is just an earth for the sensor, which I would imagine is earthed at some point on the engine, as it didn't appear that the earth wire returned to the ECM.
It may sound like I have answered my own question, but I take it I can just use a 2 wire sensor? I'm also guessing the reason for the change was better earthing, and not some changes to programming that would prevent me using a two wire sensor with the original single wire VQ ECM?

Thanks for your time.

boostin01

Reaction score
Members Ride
a few holdens
im on my 4th vq, none have had 2 wire 02 sensors...sure your loom is from a vq? from vn-vs v8 engines, ive never seen a 2 wire 02 sensor, think youve got the wrong plug...on a vn v6 for example, which runs a 2 wire sensor, the other wire earths to the sensor.

yxyx64

Reaction score
Members Ride
Kia turbo + Holden badge, Chev badge in Texas
im on my 4th vq, none have had 2 wire 02 sensors...sure your loom is from a vq? from vn-vs v8 engines, ive never seen a 2 wire 02 sensor, think youve got the wrong plug...on a vn v6 for example, which runs a 2 wire sensor, the other wire earths to the sensor.

........hmmm, I have only seen 2 wire on VR V8.........

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, the 2nd wire is an earth wire.