Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD II Connection

PRAVX II S

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
OBD2
Almost everyone no's that bridging pins 5/6 gets faults out of the PCM. Using a paper clip.
You also can buy a a OBD II male connector.
And bridge the pins 5/6 on it. So all you have to do is plug and play.

Image 1
The OBD II connector

Image 2
Front view of OBD II connector. Bridge pins 5/6 test with multimeter for continuity.

Image 3
Solder pins 5/6 together make sure its only pins 5/6 check continuity with multimeter.

You can use this when ever you want. on the eco. You can do more things then that if you no how the PCM works.
You can buy OBD II connector on ebay/jaycar.

Attachments

• PiC 1.jpg
    PiC 1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 1,389
  • PIC2.jpg
    PIC2.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 3,412
  • pic3.jpg
    pic3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 1,226

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Has anyone else done this? Got pictures? Can you do it with an EML327?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
WH II Caprice, 5.7 2018 Equinox LTZ V

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Yea it sounds to me like a good way to blow up your ECU or something else similarly catastrophic :( Because ALDL is never going to magically turn into OBD2.... Just like French people don't usually speak Icelandic and Trump doesn't usually speak any sense... lol

But I'll research anything that sounds interesting.....

P.S. mine is a wireless bluetooth ELM so from what I've looked at so far I don't know that the software you mentioned will work? .....might need to get a cable to the laptop perhaps?

P.P.S. also has anyone compared that software (which sounds good) to the Tech2 that everyone raves about in terms of its ability to talk back to the hardware as well as read it?

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
The Tech II is the bee's knees with a price tag to match. It obviously does everything but few of us can afford one. Software On Elm Street is specifically designed for the Holden LS1 and is great for reading and clearing engine fault codes and live readouts of all the engine sensors.

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
If a jobs worth doing (as a Holden always is!) then it's worth doing well!

At $435 online the Tech2 seems well worth it as a good investment.... except that in 12 months I plan/hope (depending how life goes) to move on to a Haltech...

vt_II_senator_sig

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II HSV Senator Signature
Howdy.
i dont know if this helps you with your decision making about investing in a tech2... but...
Ive got Soe for my ls1, which is great and works on my ls1 and our ve sv6 at clearing all engine warnings (existing and history) etc and gives all engine and trannie live data. i bought the elm cable at the time, so i think it was $80 all up... the problem i had was that if you want to clear abs warnings on your ls1, then i had to buy the aldl cable package aswell, as this is all cleared over a different protocol... so this was another $80. the aldl cable is good for the v6 ecotec series, but i just use tunerpro to look at live data and faults etc...
the next issue i have with this software is that its tied into my crappy laptop which i now cant get rid of because licenses are not transferable between computers... which is a bummer...
the obd2 cable also wont clear abs type warnings on the ve series, only general engine fault warnings.
if you want to put in a level 3 cluster in your car and change cluster settings to suit your car, you can do this with the other subscription software that you pay per year or month... i wanted to do this to my acclaim wagon but seemed abit too expensive to justify a few extra dash windows of information for this price.
so in the long run if you want to do all of this stuff, the price for the tech2 isnt that far out the window... and its not bound to a old laptop...
hope this helps...

Craig Facey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 5.7
Think I'll start with SOE from Tazzi... nice to support Aussie businesses where you can.... might get the Tech2 as well down the track but SOE looks like it might do all the same stuff and more???

I was also worried that the cheaper Tech2's could be chinese clones.... I bought a cloned phone a little while back and it was a nightmare! I had to do an eBay dispute cause the guy tried to tell me it was OEM.... Get what you pay for!

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I use Envious Customs AED on my slightly older bus than your's and it's great. I reckon anything from Tazzi and you're on a winner. So easy to use as well.

accentstencil

Reaction score
Members Ride
I was also worried that the cheaper Tech2's could be chinese clones.... I bought a cloned phone a little while back and it was a nightmare! I had to do an eBay dispute cause the guy tried to tell me it was OEM.... Get what you pay for!
Those cheap Tech 2s usually are the Chinese clones. The real thing is much more expensive.