Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD Readers

clappa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS11 Redline
Hi All,

I have a VF SSV Series 2, which is under some sort of warranty till 31st August 2021.
Recently I have had a few issues with the vehicle.
1. Faulty Injector - The OBD Reader i have was enough to figure out which cylinder and error code, and allowed me to do research on this forum and Holden changed under Warranty. They changed all 8 injectors :)
2. Services Airbag light
3. Service Steering Column Lock

Obviously, the OBD Reader I have is fairly basic, and doesnt pickup up or advise the errors with points 2 and 3. Can anyone advise a suitable reader that would be able to clear and diagnose these sorts of alerts? I've googled and found many, and will start sending inquiries off, but looking for users experience first.

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
@clappa, you shouldn’t have to diagnose anything as the car is telling you there are faults and as its under warranty, Holden need to address these faults.

So what’s the problem that has you wanting to diagnose the issue? Have Holden looked at these issues and are they saying there is nothing wrong with the airbag system or steering lock?

As is, there are a few service steering lock threads within the VF forum discussing the issue. Often (but not always) it’s the owner either holding the wheel as they get out and/or the wheel is not lined up with the pin so the pin can’t slide into the shaft slot and the system grumbles...

clappa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS11 Redline
Ah, should clarify, its more for when the car is no longer under warranty and can diagnose myself.
The 2 issues are related to sensors of which Holden is changing under warranty, but more so when its out of warranty i can do it myself.

The air bag light is related to the drivers seating position switch sensor, and the steering column issue is related to the module/actuator in the drivers door.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
an obd "reader" is pretty much a low level tool to read and clear codes with some codes out of reach, i cant remember the exact terminology but the high level or dealer level codes dont show up or dont clear etc.
most of the cheap readers all use the same elm327 chip to read and clear codes so many of them are the same regardless of the branding or price.

you need an obd "scanner" like a tech2 or a mdi, snap on has "modis" and then there are clones on ebay like THIS but i dont know how good the ebay ones are but all of the scanners are much more expensive than the readers.

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
Another vote for Envyous Customs. Software on Elm Street and their genuine ELM327. It's a must have in the toolbox for any DIY

ephect

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
I've found some mobile apps don't have all the codes that is accessible via the reader.

Best and current one in using is car scanner Pro. You can flick between basic and advanced code checks which under advanced take longer to scan.
Even finds multiple ecu including trans

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
an obd "reader" is pretty much a low level tool to read and clear codes with some codes out of reach, i cant remember the exact terminology but the high level or dealer level codes dont show up or dont clear etc.
most of the cheap readers all use the same elm327 chip to read and clear codes so many of them are the same regardless of the branding or price.

you need an obd "scanner" like a tech2 or a mdi, snap on has "modis" and then there are clones on ebay like THIS but i dont know how good the ebay ones are but all of the scanners are much more expensive than the readers.
tech 2

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Tech 2 doesn't work on GDS2 vehicles such as VF's. :(

KING46Calais V

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 VFII Calais V 6.2L Sed
ah