Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

OBD Readers

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
GDS2 is the software
MDI is the hardware...
Yeah but doesn’t the MDI hardware have firmware within which may have “licensing” features to work with GDS2 software that presumably runs on a PC. If so, the MDI clones may copy such modules or parts of the firmware and it becomes a cat and mouse or whack a mole game between gm & clone manufacturers.

Last edited:

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Yeah but doesn’t the MDI hardware habe firmware within which may have “licensing” features to work with GDS2 software that presumably runs on a PC. If so, the MDI clones may copy such modules or parts of the firmware and it becomes a cat and mouse or whack a mole game between gm & clone manufacturers.

i dont think you need a genuine mdi for the gds subscription/software to work but it would need to be compatible to process the required commands.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I've seen those, but its the 'tricky' bit that worries me.

Most of the "tricky" things were associated with trying to get my BitDefender to stop treating a number of applications (such as GDS2) as a virus.

Terry57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Evoke Wagon
As far as this issue goes i work like this. This car is a complex vehicle worth a nice bit of money so id just take it to Holden or your trusted mechanic . These guys have got the latest readers and will diagnose the problem in short time. Its worth the money they may charge you is it not. My mechanics scan tool is worth 10 K.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
after blackvxgts posted the vxdiag one i decided to get one and give it a shot.

i went with this one, if it is any good i will post here about it.

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I've purchased one from auscanners, vident i400au Holden. It's pre loaded with GM Holden make/models and I can add another make/model to it. I'll let you know when I get it next week and how it goes.
https://www.auscanners.com.au/vident-i400au-obd-aldl-scan-tool-for-holden-profes

Scratch that. They out of stock and one of the customer service blokes said it can't do service stuff for VF yet, like oil service reset, abs bleed, epb calibration etc. So cancelled order. Hopefully stooges one works..